Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

We got a tablet in a box of electronics at a yard sale. It's running windows 10. We can't access it because of the password. The person's email comes up and I haven't tried contacting them or if it's still valid.
What can be done?

Thxs

Pat

Attachments

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,131 Posts
Due to Forum Rules, we cannot assist you with Passwords. But you should do a Clean Install of Windows on this used computer to get rid of the previous users data
On a Working computer, download the ISO image for Windows 10 and burn it to a USB Flash drive with the Media Creation Tool from the same site. Boot the Asus computer with the USB Flash drive. Choose your language then Custom Install. In Where To Install Windows, Delete All Partitions on the drive until it is all Unallocated Space, then click Next. Windows will create partitions and format them during the Install. The Product key for Windows is embedded in the laptops Bios, so you don't have to type anything in.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spunk.funk

That makes sense. I was kind of afraid someone here would think I stole a $90 tablet Lol
The policy makes total sense to avoid helping idiots.
I will do what you said and reinstall the OS.

Thanks again

Pat

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You'll also be a ton happier with a fresh install, no baggage left over from the previous owner's activities.
Spunk.funk mentioned how to do a clean install, is a fresh install different?
Does the fresh install if different than the clean install, has to be done after the clean install, or instead of it?

Thanks

Pat

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi

I am just working on this now. I am confused about one thing. I downloaded W10 and media creator on a working PC and burned on a flashdrive. Placed the flash drive in the ASUS and booted. Nothing happens.
Am I supposed to double click on media creator when the USB is still inserted in the working PC?
I haven't tried since I am afraid to do a clean install by accident on the working PC.

Thanks

Pat
Rectangle Font Software Operating system Screenshot

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi

I am just working on this now. I am confused about one thing. I downloaded W10 and media creator on a working PC and burned on a flashdrive. Placed the flash drive in the ASUS and booted. Nothing happens.
Am I supposed to double click on media creator when the USB is still inserted in the working PC?
I haven't tried since I am afraid to do a clean install by accident on the working PC.

Thanks

Pat View attachment 332766
There are various things that need to be done. First, you must get into the BIOS and make sure it is configured to be able to boot from a USB drive. Then, there should be a power on option available to select various boot sources. I am not familiar with that particular model, as it is not specified, but it would be helpful for you to download and RTFM.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are various things that need to be done. First, you must get into the BIOS and make sure it is configured to be able to boot from a USB drive. Then, there should be a power on option available to select various boot sources. I am not familiar with that particular model, as it is not specified, but it would be helpful for you to download and RTFM.
I can't get into the ASUS at all. At the log on with no password. Can I still access the BIOS without login in?
Ok I will look for the manual.

Thxs

Pat

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,035 Posts
You need to run the Media Creation Tool and generate the bootable image on the FLASH drive. You don't put the Media Creation Tool on the drive, it's just for creating the install media!

As for booting from USB, try hitting ESC a bunch of times as it starts up before Windows loads and see if that brings up the boot menu.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You need to run the Media Creation Tool and generate the bootable image on the FLASH drive. You don't put the Media Creation Tool on the drive, it's just for creating the install media!

As for booting from USB, try hitting ESC a bunch of times as it starts up before Windows loads and see if that brings up the boot menu.
SPT97 I have downloaded the manual and found the instructions to access the BIOS. I haven't tried yet as I want to get the flashdrive set up correctly.

John

The media creation tool is on my desktop

Windows 10 is on the flashdrive inserted in the working PC.

1) Do I run the media creation tool on my desktop, while windows 10 is on the flashdrive?

Thxs

Pat

·
Registered
7 Posts
SPT97 I have downloaded the manual and found the instructions to access the BIOS. I haven't tried yet as I want to get the flashdrive set up correctly.

John

The media creation tool is on my desktop

Windows 10 is on the flashdrive inserted in the working PC.

1) Do I run the media creation tool on my desktop, while windows 10 is on the flashdrive?

Thxs

Pat
As I recall, that is how it is done. The media creation tool will ask you if you want to overwrite whatever is on the USB drive. Make sure you specify the correct USB drive if you have more than one attached. I suggest you get into the BIOS first though, as newer computers can interesting options, but you will probably only want to insure that booting from a USB drive is added if it is not already an option. On powering on, the BIOS should have some manner of specifying to boot from a USB drive. It is probably a good idea to not change anything you do not fully understand in the BIOS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As I recall, that is how it is done. The media creation tool will ask you if you want to overwrite whatever is on the USB drive. Make sure you specify the correct USB drive if you have more than one attached. I suggest you get into the BIOS first though, as newer computers can interesting options, but you will probably only want to insure that booting from a USB drive is added if it is not already an option. On powering on, the BIOS should have some manner of specifying to boot from a USB drive. It is probably a good idea to not change anything you do not fully understand in the BIOS.
When talking about the BIOS, I mean the laptop in question, NOT the working system you are using to create the bootable Windows installation USB.

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,131 Posts
If Babiest (D) : is your USB Flash drive, then it is not setup correctly. You have copied the Media Creation tool to the flash drive. You have not burned the Windows Installer to the Flash drive. A Complete Guide to Windows 10 Media Creation Tool: How to Use From a working computer, you double click the Media Creation Tool app and it will start. Here, select to Create Install Media, it will ask to put in a Flash drive and it will then wipe the flash drive and install or Burn the Windows Installer to the Flash Drive. Once that is done, put it back in your AIO Tablet, and after resetting Bios to boot from the Flash drive, Restart the computer and it should load the installer.

Be aware, If you boot from the installer, the only option is to reinstall Windows to a new folder, or to do a Clean Install of Windows, where you would delete all partitions and Install Windows. You will not be able to do a Refresh of Windows where you would keep your files.

If you can still get into the the AIO Computer, While in Windows, move the Windows 10 ISO Image to that computer and Right click it and choose Mount, or click Setup.exe from the Flash Drive. This will give the option to do a Clean Install of Windows or to Keep Your Files and install Windows, better known as a Repair Install or Refresh Windows

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank-you everybody for baring with me.

Spunk.funk thanks for the detailed explanation on how to set up the flash drive.
I will work on that after I access the Asus Bios, which I can't do.
I am joining a video of me trying. Let me know if I am doing something wrong. Maybe I don't reboot the Asus correctly?

Thanks

Pat

1 - 20 of 29 Posts