Tech Support banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have installed a viewer app (medical). After I installed, I found out it has a 14 day free viewing limit. I tried to uninstall it, but I can't find its name nor the name of company for that app in the control panel/add & remove console. I looked at programfile, programfile(x86), programdata, users/computername, ... all negative cannot find it.
But when I tried to open up the medical image, windows OS asks how which app I want to use. This app icon is there.
I inspected my download folder, there is a temp folder and inside this temp folder is the name of this app, its autorun.inf, runWindows.bat (bat looks innocent) and a subfolder which has further subdirectories and an exe for the app which bears no resemblance to the official name of the app.
I download this app from the official web site of this app. This app came to my attention as I was looking at the review of the current openly available free medical viewing apps and was linked to the app's official web page.

(As a note. I did try to use the app to view a medical image. Not impressed by it. Some open source viewing apps have more capability. Hence I want to uninstall it.)

Then I looked at the window registry. Holy Moly. Inside Local Settings/Microsoft/CurrentVersion/AppModel/Deployment/Package/./
There is a folder within which there are close to 60+ subdirectories all have its own subfolders and entries. Some of the entries has weird names "AMicrosoft.YourPhone_..."
This is worrisome.
Can someone please tell me how to uninstall this app when there is no such entry for the app in the Windows Add/Remove panel?
Can I just delete the folder for this app in my download folder and then delete the obnoxious Windows registry for this app?
Thanks in advance.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
26,415 Posts
Name of App?

·
26,415 Posts
Try deleting everything in the Temp file first. If no good:
Your OS says XP. If that's true, the app was never intended to work on it. Since you posted in Windows 10 Forum, go to the Microsoft Store and re-download it. Now you should know where it is and uninstall.

·
Windows Tech Team
1,012 Posts
If this is a store app, and in checking the download link at the source site, it is, you should simply have an uninstall option if you right click on the app name in the Start Menu. [It may be under the More options].

Store Apps do not appear in Programs and Features. Universal Apps are their own world.

Also, if one does a WindowsKey+R, and enters shell:AppsFolder, you'll get a listing of every app (whether installed desktop or store) on your machine. When I right click on the store apps one of the choices in the context menu is Uninstall.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My OS is Win10 Pro.
Am I correct that you suggested delete the folder for the app in my download folder manually and delete the huge windows registry entry for that app manually?
There is no folder for that app in my C:/ drive on top of those directories that I listed above.

·
Windows Tech Team
1,012 Posts
Do not, EVER, mess around with the registry manually - PERIOD!!!

That way lies madness.

There is nothing odd about the YourPhone App, it comes with Windows 10.

I don't care who you are, and that includes myself, DON'T go mucking around in the registry!

My instructions given previously will easily remove this app.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello britechguy: I don't think it is a store app. Start Menu does not return the name of this app. I right click on the exe in the temp folder, no such option as uninstall. Only option is run as admin ...

I am going to delete this folder & the registry manually.

Thanks for the tip for displaying app installed. I did not know that command!

·
Windows Tech Team
1,012 Posts

·
Microsoft-Team Manager , Hardware - Team Manager
68,444 Posts
It is also available from the company which is what the op did, I don't see why your instructions would not work as it will be the same app.

·
26,415 Posts
I said delete the Download. Leave the Registry alone. I suggested the Store rather than the company site since I know it's genuine.

·
Registered
40,724 Posts
Browse to C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) see if there is a folder for this app. If so, open the folder and see if there is an Uninstall file there (ie) unwise0001 or something like that.
Or if you see the folder use an Uninstaller program like Revo or IOBit Uninstaller. Use the Hunter Mode or Force Uninstall and browse it to the .exe file to remove it and all of the files in the Registry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts