Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish to transfer a working valid Win 10 licence from the PC it is currently runing on to an Oracle VirtualBox virtual machine running on that PC but with Linux having replaced Windows. I don't understand how the licence can be transferred because the digital signature Microsoft has for my install of Win 10, based on the PC hardware, will not be applicable to the virtual machine into which it will be installed. Microsoft would be entitled to require me to purchase another licence.

How can I legally avoid that?

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
11,669 Posts
You can't.

Microsoft License Terms

"2. Installation and Use Rights.

a. License. The software is licensed, not sold. Under this agreement, we grant you the right to install and run one instance of the software on your device (the licensed device), for use by one person at a time, so long as you comply with all the terms of this agreement. Updating or upgrading from non-genuine software with software from Microsoft or authorized sources does not make your original version or the updated/upgraded version genuine, and in that situation, you do not have a license to use the software.

b. Device. In this agreement, “device” means a hardware system (whether physical or virtual) with an internal storage device capable of running the software. A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a device.

c. Restrictions. The device manufacturer or installer and Microsoft reserve all rights (such as rights under intellectual property laws) not expressly granted in this agreement. For example, this license does not give you any right to, and you may not:

(i) use or virtualize features of the software separately;

(ii) publish, copy (other than the permitted backup copy), rent, lease, or lend the software;

(iii) transfer the software (except as permitted by this agreement);

(iv) work around any technical restrictions or limitations in the software;

...continues...

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,227 Posts
If your Windows 10 license is a Retail license as opposed to an OEM license, and you are not using the 10 license on any computer, you can type that in, if it requests it. How to Transfer your Windows 10 License to a New Computer
If the Windows 10 License was used on this computer before you wiped it and put Linux on it, the Windows license is saved in the CMOS of the UEFI Bios.

·
Registered
29 Posts
No, a Windows 10 license cannot simply be transferred to a virtual machine. You need a volume licence, Software Assurance, and licenses for the cloud version 25 or more, VDI, or Buy Retail Windows 10 Pro. There is no VM server licencing included with Windows 10.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If your Windows 10 license is a Retail license as opposed to an OEM license, and you are not using the 10 license on any computer, you can type that in, if it requests it. How to Transfer your Windows 10 License to a New Computer
If the Windows 10 License was used on this computer before you wiped it and put Linux on it, the Windows license is saved in the CMOS of the UEFI Bios.
The PC being used does not UEFI BIOS as far as I understand it. It is a self build system using components from a long span of 'history'.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can't.

Microsoft License Terms

"2. Installation and Use Rights.
a. License. The software is licensed, not sold. Under this agreement, we grant you the right to install and run one instance of the software on your device (the licensed device), for use by one person at a time, so long as you comply with all the terms of this agreement. Updating or upgrading from non-genuine software with software from Microsoft or authorized sources does not make your original version or the updated/upgraded version genuine, and in that situation, you do not have a license to use the software.
b. Device. In this agreement, “device” means a hardware system (whether physical or virtual) with an internal storage device capable of running the software. A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a device.
c. Restrictions. The device manufacturer or installer and Microsoft reserve all rights (such as rights under intellectual property laws) not expressly granted in this agreement. For example, this license does not give you any right to, and you may not:
(i) use or virtualize features of the software separately;
(ii) publish, copy (other than the permitted backup copy), rent, lease, or lend the software;
(iii) transfer the software (except as permitted by this agreement);
(iv) work around any technical restrictions or limitations in the software;
...continues...
Thanks for the thorough reply; you have noted 2 issues:
"we grant you the right to install and run one instance of the software on your device (the licensed device),"
and

"
this license does not give you any right to, and you may not:

(i) use or virtualize features of the software separately;"

So it seems I CAN do what I want, because:

a). I would still be running one instance only of the software.
b). The key, or governing, word in the second issue is 'separately'. I will NOT be using or virtualising features of the software separately, within my understanding of the meaning of this word. If Micriosoft has a unique definition of what this word means then legally the Company is required to publish it.

(Sorry for the boldface font: that's under someone else's control, not mine)

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
11,669 Posts
I am not a lawyer but, as long as you are only running a single copy of a legally licensed Windows, you should be good. (y)

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,227 Posts
Chances are great that you will not even need to type in a product key for a VM, especially if Windows 10 was previously installed on the host computer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts