Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to bring my laptop into the shop and i would like to transfer all settings and programs onto one user on my desktop without affecting the other users. How can i do this, files and settings transfer, or backup this computer and "restore" the backup one my desktop user. Once again, i dont want it to affect any other users on the desktop computer.

·
Registered
370 Posts
If your talking about backing up data then just burn a cd or two. As far as saving settings you really don't want to do that. Especially if your taking it in for repairs. If you do find some way to back up your settings, take the system and get it fixed, then restore the original settings you'll just be putting the problem back. Don't do this.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No they are all hardware issues, i will back it up using a back up program. But what i also would like to do is basically make my desktop user be just like the way my laptop (all programs, same settings, everything) was becuase my computer will probably be away for about 4 weeks.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Even if it is hardware issues I'd still be worried about imaging a drive that will have changes on it when you come back.

If you still want to do it anyway then pick up a copy of Norton Ghost

djw2009913 said:
But what i also would like to do is basically make my desktop user be just like the way my laptop (all programs, same settings, everything) was becuase my computer will probably be away for about 4 weeks.
This part confuses me a bit. Are you talking about two computers here?

If that's so it's easier to just install the programs you want on the second machine and copy the files over.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i dont think norton ghost would work becuase it would overwrite everything on my drive right? I only want the program to overwrite ONE of the users and not affect any others. I could install the programs and transfer settings but i was looking for a much easier faster way, that would take a little longer than i would like.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I don't think Windows has or supports what your talking about. There are too many crazy little registry entries that are machine specific. If this were linux however it would simply be an issue of copying config files but we're working with Microsoft here.

Your gonna have to do things the hard way.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have done exactly what you are wanting. There's a program out there called PCRelocator that will take all your settings and programs that you want to transfer from an old computer and place them on a new computer. It will even place the infromation under the same login as your laptop uses. This program costs around $40 to $50. You should know that the operating system on the target computer needs to be the same or newer version than the source computer. If you choose this route make sure that you completely clean your laptop registry and defrag laptop hard drive. It will transfer all the crude that has accumulated on your laptop to your desktop. This program has worked for me with about a 90% success rate. Most of the failures that I have had were with programs that were hard to get working even when I installed them. If you choose to use this program you do so at your own risk and I definitely recommend that you back up all data and settings on your desktop before trying this. You may be able to find a trail version or free version of a program on the internet that will do the same thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.