There are a few reasons why you may want to do this, but my main reason would be to back up my Gmail emails just in case I ever delete something important, Gmail servers go down (rare, but it happens) or as happened on the weekend of February 27 2011, when about 150,000 Gmail users woke up to find that all of their emails had been deleted by a glitch by Google (luckily Google have multiple redundant backups). It also happened way back on 22 December 2006. The latest glitch has now been resolved, but it does serve as a wake-up call to people relying too much on web-based email. I still prefer it to an actual desktop client though and to be honest, Gmail is by far the best one out there.

Right, let's sync our Gmail to Outlook (2007 in my case); bear in mind though that if you have a lot of emails in your Gmail account (my main one is approaching 41,000 in the Inbox alone) this will require quite a bit of space on your computer's hard drive as this sync will also include any attachments those emails have.

I assume that you have:
  • A Gmail account (IMAP should be enabled in Gmail settings as it is disabled by default)
  • Outlook 2007 (or similar) on your computer

By default when you first access your Forwarding and POP/IMAP settings area in Gmail you will see that it is set up so:

First, you need to Enable IMAP. When you check this, you will notice a few more options are given to you. You don’t have to touch these, so leave them alone.

Now in the POP Download section above IMAP Access, you are given two options. The first is the one that you should choose if you wish to sync (download) all of your Gmail’s from Day 1.
  • Enable POP for all mail (even mail that’s already been downloaded)

If however, you have already done a sync before and are doing it again on a new computer and you already have the emails synced (copied) or just want the latest ones, then choose the second option which will only sync your Gmail from now on.
  • Enable POP for mail that arrives from now on

Once you have decided which settings are correct for you, we can move on to setting up Outlook.

I will first show you how to do this when you haven’t already configured your Outlook account on your PC.

First, open Outlook (Start>All Programs>Microsoft Office>Microsoft Office>Outlook 2007) and you will see the following window:

Click Next for the next window:

Select Yes and Next

Personally, I prefer to configure things manually. This way I know that it’s done correctly. So check the box at the bottom (this will grey all the other information out) and click Next

Select the first optionInternet Email and then Next

You can see from my example above how to input your details. Make everything the same except:
  • Your Name
  • Email Address (x2)

Now click More Settings for the Outgoing Server settings and Port settings:

Under the Outgoing Server tab check the top box and the Use same settings as my incoming mail server then go to the Advanced tab

There are four things you need to do here:
  1. Incoming Server (POP3) 995
  2. Outgoing Server (SMTP) 587
  3. Check the box This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)
  4. Encryption Type – TLS

Next click OK

Click theTest Account Settings and hopefully you will have now correctly configured your Gmail to your Outlook account. Now in your Outlook program click Send/Receive (Tools>Send/Receive) or just F9 and your Gmail emails will start to pour in. This may take a while depending on how many emails you have in your Gmail account.

Outlook will also ask you about calender settings and RSS feeds. For myself, I just ignored these as I am only interested in using Outlook as a backup for my Gmails.

Select No to this unless you want Outlook to be your default email program. If you want Gmail to be the default mailto: then please see my other tutorial on doing that here .

The other window will be the RSS Feeds one. It’s up to you if you want to have these synchronised as well:

Now let’s take a look how to achieve this when you have already got an Outlook account configured on your computer:

In Outlook go Tools>Account Settings and click New which will bring up the following window:

Which will present the next window:

Select the first choice and click Next

Now you should be in familiar territory as it’s exactly the same as above from now on as you will see this window:

Again, select the Manually configure settings box at the bottom and click Next

You can see from my example above how to input your details. Make everything the same except:

Your Name
Email Address (x2)

Now click More Settings for the Outgoing Server settings and Port settings:

Under the Outgoing Server tab check the top box and the Use same settings as my incoming mail server then go to the Advanced tab

There are four things you need to do here:

Incoming Server (POP3) 995
Outgoing Server (SMTP) 587
Check the box This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)
Encryption Type – TLS

Next click OK

Click the Test Account Settings and hopefully you should see the following window letting you know that you have done everything correctly:

You have now correctly configured your Gmail to your Outlook account. Now in your Outlook program click Send/Receive (Tools>Send/Receive) or just F9 and your Gmail emails will start to pour in. This may take a while depending on how many emails you have in your Gmail account. You will also see the following window. This one will show as your emails pour in. It is letting you know that some of the emails being synced have been marked as ‘Junk’. You can click on the Junk email options to make the rules stricter if you wish.

That’s it you’re done!

Now if you want to back those emails to an external hard drive/ CD/ DVD or Dropbox etc, you can take a look at my other tutorial on how to do this here .

Please note that if you use 2-Step Verification on your Google account, then you will be unable to Send/ Receive in Outlook until you add the required verification code.

© 2011 TheGift73