Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure how to describe this but, I am building a website in Photoshop/Dreamweaver with some Flash. There are going to be several pages each with different length/height. Is there a way to set it up so that if the page gets longer, it'll extend/stretch the bottom of the page down to fit it? If so, how?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok I think I found a better way to word this. I am using tables and in those tables' cells are slices of a design done in photoshop. The area where the main body of text is going to go has an image as its background. When the text goes longer than the image it moves the slice to the left of it down some leaving a gap between the left bottom slice and the slice above it. Any idea at all how to get it so that if the text is longer than the image, the image and everything will not slide down but more "stretch"? Any idea how to get this to work? Thanks in advance guys. I hope you can help me.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Well Eclipse2003 it would be easier (for me at least) to see an example of what it's doing.

Some ideas though would to set the background on repeat if that would work (sounds like the image isn't something that simple).

Allow the cell that the text is in to scroll? Not sure if that would be "tacky" or not for your design.

Design the site using z-index to layer the text over the background image...

Is the text being applied going to be static? Could you just increase the size of the slice to match the increased text?

I'll try to think of some more ideas. "Stretching" the image usual results in a not so nice pixel/distorted like image.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions about above.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
just use percentage instead of pixels in page or table properties in regard to height.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
http://www.geocities.com/gobrowns81/home.html

That is the page as of now. Only the home page works and there is going to be text in the white section. We are also going to change the background but I just put any brown color up for now just to show what it is going to look like. Basically there is going to be text in the white section and I want that to either stretch or to simply move the background "filigree" down as more text is added. The white section is its own slice. The other problem is that the blue on the left is a slice up to the bottom of the brown menu. So if the white slice moves down, the blue does also leaving a gap between the blue slice and the slice above it that has the menu and some blue to its left. See what I mean?

Based on that, what do you think is best to do? Will the tree background of the blue cause problems?

To answer some of your questions:

Don't really want a scroll.

How does z index work?

Yeah the text is going to be static but the text is going to be changing on each page. I could make the slice bigger as needed but the problem with that is, if we update one of the pages and it contains more text than it originally had then we'll have to create a new slice. Not that big of a deal but would rather somehow not have to do that.

How do you use percentage instead of pixels? I am using Dreamweaver CS3 if that helps.

I googled this and I read somewhere about taking 3 slices from the slice we want to move. Take one of the top. One with a middle that we can repeat and then one for the bottom. So in this case I'd take the entire filigree as one slice. And then two plain white slices for top and repeat pattern. The problem with this is, how do we have the blue move with the white as it "stretches"?

Thanks for the help so far guys!

·
Registered
312 Posts
So behind the text is white background with the nice filigree always being on the bottom right hand corner?

I believe I can help! Crazy eh?

I would set the background color of the cell with the filigree to white. Position the image to sit in the bottom right hand corner of the cell. So if the cell stretches it should reveal the top and left side of the cell background which would be white. I would even cut down the slice to just the filigree which could save on load time, although not by much.

For the blue on the left I would slice a 1px high by however wide you have that column with nothing but the blue color that matches. Then have it repeat Y.

Hope that makes sense. It's actually easier in my head to use div containers then table cells now :grin:

·
Registered
312 Posts
For the blue on the left I would slice a 1px high by however wide you have that column with nothing but the blue color that matches. Then have it repeat Y.
Now that I had some time to think about it. It could be as easy as setting the lowest slice on the left column position to top and giving the background color of the cell the same background color of the sliced image...?? Give it a try.

Let me know if you need examples of what my crazy brain is trying to relay.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Skimmed over what you said. Probably will need your help on this. Don't have much time right now but we'll talk more Monday. Thanks for the input so far Jaxo. I appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I am actually going to work on it some today or tomorrow. I am changing the design a bit and then going to try what you suggested. I'll definitely keep you updated and probably will be asking a few more questions.

In fact here is another one, my pastor wants to have a blog. Is there a way that I can have him have a simple interface to be able to add to his own blog or is the only way to do this by editing the HTML directly?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I know that can be done with custom programming or even using a CMS. Not sure what would be best in your situation thought. I am in the process of setting up my first CMS for a customer and so far so good. Down side is it's a Joomla/CMS realty/mojoBlog combo which I hear works well together, but definitely a learning curve. There is a lot of stuff out there just have to sift through all of the crap. :grin:

It all depends on your clients experience with HTML? Although I do know some family members who are knowledgeable in coding and prefer to use a cms like setup.

Perhaps someone else has an opinion/recommendation on this?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok one quick question for you now. How do you make the background image not repeat but stay stationery/static when the user has to scroll down on the website? So basically, the website moves up and down but the background image stays still? Also, is there a way to change the size of the main website based on the resolution so that at every resolution the page will be the same size? Because at like 800 x 600, the background image basically goes away. Let me know any suggestions and thanks again for helping me out with this, I appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok I was able to get the background to stay static and the website is now extending as I type in more text. Thanks for the tips. I may post back more questions as I continue to work on this site. Thanks for the help.

The things I am working on now is creating an interface where my pastor can type is blog without knowing any HTML (although I may just have him send me information and I'll put it in if I can't figure it out) and also having a log in page which allows members of our church to access "members only pages". Any ideas with that? Couldn't someone just simply type in the address to one of the members only pages and be able to access it? Or is there a way to prevent that?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hey there,

Sorry for the delayed response, full time into working on a new site.

Glad to here you got the image static. In regards to your image resolution question there is no easy way to setup it up. If you are truly interested in the image changing per resolution check out the link below.

Boutell.Com

For your question in your latest post about having your pastor update the site himself, I would look into something like wordpress with a plug in like Members Only for your "secured" area.

Next link below is an interesting article about making wordpress more like a cms. Seems wordpress is loved due to it's easy to grasp/understandable nature. blazenewmedia.com

Hope that's gives you more to go on :grin:

Keep them questions coming!

·
Registered
312 Posts
That is definitely the easier route to go. Like I said in previous post, there is no way to increase image size in background when someone visits the site with a larger/smaller resolution. At lease no way without some kind of scripting language like javascript. Check out link above Boutell.Com for an insite on what I am talking about. Most sites will create a 1px by however long image that will just repeat (like Redcore said). I have seen where they tile an image with a 100px x 100px that flows well too.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.