Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello , I have a Dell Optiplex 3020 , Win10 Home and an LG 32in monitor . During start up I get a pop up box saying not set at optimal resolution . My pc does not support what it says is optimal resolution but the display looks great . I have done the right click desktop , graphic options, balloon notifications , and disabled optimal resolutions notifications . Under settings , system , notifications , get notifications is turned off . all notifications is off . The popup box has a button that says don't show this message again but when I try to mouse over it the curser disappears . Any ideas how to stop this box from popping up ?? it stays there covering the box for my pin # for about 2 mins !! Thank you !!

· Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,583 Posts
As stated, this is not a Windows message, it is a message from the LG Monitor. What is the Model #?
As asked, what cable do you use to connect the monitor (Ie) Display Port, HDMI, DVI, VGA?
Do you plug your monitor into the Onboard Video next to the USB ports? or do you have a Video Card (GPU) lower in the case?
Have you tried setting your resolution to the Optimal Resolution? You can always increase the size of everything using Scaling in Display Settings in Windows if everything is too small with Optimal resolution.
You can also post in this monitor only forum Computer Monitor Forum

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Model # 32QN55T-B It is connected with HDMI cable , Thats the only type of connection on the monitor . My PC has Intel ( R) HD Graphics and has an HDMI port , PC does not support the optimal resolution . it is set at 1920x1080

· Global Moderator
44,583 Posts
You are using Onboard HDMI Graphics and not a GPU.
Press the Windows key +X and choose Device Manager.
Expand Display. If using the Default Microsoft driver, go to the Dell Download site for you monitor and download the Intel Video driver for your model
Support for OptiPlex 3020 | Drivers & Downloads | Dell US

· Registered
5,890 Posts
I don't know if this is the same poster we were helping on Tech Guy but it's exactly the same situation with exactly the same components. If not, I'll repeat what I last said there.

We don't know what graphics card you have. These are the video options that your computer may have. AMD Radeon R5 340X and R7 350X Graphics; Intel HD/Iris Pro Graphics; AMD Radeon HD 8490/8570 and R5 240/R7 250 Graphics. It would be helpful if you ran this and posted the info here. Alternatively you could let us know the service tag of your Dell.

Enter the model number of your monitor here then and download and install it's driver.

Your system may still be running on the standard Windows video driver. Install the Dell video driver appropriate to your system. You will need your service code. Dell should be able to find in in your BIOS if your system is not too old.

If your system comes with an expansion graphics adapter it will allow for more resolution options. There will be alternate video ports as shown.

Product Font Engineering Rectangle Machine

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My PC does not have an integrated display port or expansion graphics adapter , just the single display and HDMI ports . It is using onboard graphics and is running on default microsoft driver . I will go to Dell support for the proper driver for my monitor . Thank for the info !!!!! and yes I am the same poster , didn't realize posting on different sites would be a problem just thought it might make for more people to see the post !

· Global Moderator
44,583 Posts
It is using onboard graphics and is running on default microsoft driver
As stated in Post #5, You need to go to the Dell site to download the driver for your Intel Video Chip on your motherboard. You don't need a driver for your LG Monitor.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went to the Dell site listed in post #5 , did a search for a driver for my monitor but search did not return any driver for this monitor . would the LG driver from their site work ?

· Global Moderator
44,583 Posts
When you click the link in Post #5 or here Support for OptiPlex 3020 | Drivers & Downloads | Dell US Go to the Drivers & Download tab, click the link Find drivers, under Manually Search for a Driver type the word Video. Download the Intel, or AMD driver, depending on your video chip for your model. If you are not sure, You can download all 3 only 1 will install correctly.

Or click this link Support for OptiPlex 3020 | Overview | Dell US and type in your Service Tag # that is on the sticker on the top of the computer or in the Bios. It will give you specific drivers for your model. Then in the search box type the word Video. It should give you only 1 Video driver for you Service Tag.

Most monitors do not have a driver, or need one.

· Registered
5,890 Posts
Here is the driver for your monitor. The reason to install it is that it contains resolution preset info and may stop the monitor from popping up an incorrect resolution warning. The recommended resolution of your monitor is 2560 x 1440 @ 60 Hz. Unfortunately, if you only have Intel HD/Iris Pro Graphics it only has a max resolution of of 1920 x 1080. If you would give us the Service Tag for your Dell we could determine exactly what system configuration you have.

Your monitor's manual.

· Registered
5,890 Posts
Also, are you sure you disabled the Windows optimal resolution warning?

Start > Settings > Notifications and Actions > slide Display Settings slider to off and if your video software is also listed, slide its slider to off too.

Specifically to Intel graphics -- Intel HD Graphics system tray icon, select “Graphics Options,” then “Balloon Notifications,” then “Optimal Resolution Notifications,” then “Disable.”

If your monitor is popping up the notification, look for how to disable the message on the message itself. You select this using the monitor's control keys.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes I have disabled the optimal resolution warning the way you described in post #13 there is a button within the message box that says do not show message again but when I mouse over it the cursor disappears and I can't click on it ! i have tried using the monitor's control but i find no way to stop the message

· Registered
5,890 Posts
yes I have disabled the optimal resolution warning the way you described in post #13 there is a button within the message box that says do not show message again but when I mouse over it the cursor disappears and I can't click on it ! i have tried using the monitor's control but i find no way to stop the message
Does your monitor have its own joystick and cursor for settings? If so, see if you can disable the notification using it. Your monitor has software that allows it to be controlled from your computer too. Try installing it and seeing if the notification can be disabled. I've given you the link to your monitor's website. If your mouse disappears in the Intel software it probably needs to be reinstalled but you've never given us any indication that you've done this, although asked several times. You've also failed to provide us with any way to access your system information. You can only expect so much help when you play your cards close to the vest.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts