Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a PCIe graphics card in my Vista computer, but the computer is sharing system memory with graphics memory anyway. How do I turn off this sharing feature so that my card only uses the memory it has built-in?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Hi, hard to say say without knowing what motherboard you have, but there are usually options in the BIOS, that let you make your PCI card the Initial display for boot, and also an option to disable the Onboard Graphics you probably have.
If you give us some details on your rig we'll be better able to help you.
Cheers.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I entered that information in my profile but apparently did not check some option to make the "My Computer" link appear by my name.

I'm running a 512 MB Radeon X1600 on whatever mobo the Dell Dimension E521 comes with. However, my video card is listed as having 1200 MB of RAM. I'm positive this is not an issue with my onboard graphics card still being on, because if I install Windows XP on the same system it shows up with only 512 MB as it should. Also, my laptop and my wife's laptop both have this same problem (600 MB instead of the actual 64, 1000 instead of 128, etc.), but only with Vista and not with any other OS. It's definitely Vista that's sharing the memory, so there must be a way to turn it off from within Vista. (or not, I suppose, in which case I will just have to go back to XP)

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
HI Shadow,
Could you please, go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information>Components(on left-hand side)>Display....and look at Adapter Ram and tell us how many MB it's using. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
OK.........I know it will be a lot.
Shadow, the way Vista allocates RAM is different from any previous OS. It splits all your available memory up and gives it an allocation, so if you have 2GB system RAM it shares out that memory to all your components, but that does not mean that your video card will get to use the extra ram it seems to have. Vista is just making all your system ram visible. When another application needs that extra memory, it will take it.
This is discussed in-depth in the following article, which includes an update download.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.