Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How to stop copying someone’s files ?

On workstation running windows 98, and server running operating system Win NT 4.0.
On the workstation I’m not supposed to view someone’s file because of the rights and permissions, but I can copy that file and than past in on my desktop. After that all the rights and permissions change so I’m able to get in and view those file. My question is where I have to go on my server and change it, so that a person who’s gone work on the work - (any workstation) station would be not able to do it ? can I also stop files copy to the floppy drive ??

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
What?

ok I am assuming your a systems admin for the NT Server you are talking about. If not then this really should not be your problem anyway. But to answer you question, The file rights apply for only files that are on the Server if you copy the file off the server onto your local drive it is no longer on the server therfor no limitations on what is done to that file, which is fine anyway if you were to modify the file on your workstations and then try to send it back to the server using incorrect files accsess rights the server would not allow you to copy the file back therefor any changes made to the file on your wouldstation would not show up on the server, the file on the server would be the same.

As for the second question.... I am not sure what you are asking you cannot limit floppy accsess on local workstations, if you dont want people using them take them out. With exceptions for NT workstations and Win2000. As far as limiting accsess of the Floppy off of the server simply set the server to not allow local loging this will prevent all but the Administrator from even getting physically on the server.

If I can be of any addit. help feel free to email me at [email protected]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.