Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi !

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.

Okay, here is the situation:
I'm living in a student flat, where all the rooms have a single internet connection. Apparently, we aren't allowed to connect more than one network device at a time and the MAC address of the device is registered....
But is there really no way around this at all?? I know that setting up a router won't probably work, but what if I use a hub or switch? According to my limited knowledge, these are a little less intelligent devices that could make this doable, but how?...Or could I maybe connect to internet through the main PC?? I really want to connect another laptop in my room.....

I would really appreciate if someone could suggest something. Getting this to work would really be a dream come true...

thanks a lot

·
Registered
104 Posts
This seems (to me) to be a more complicated question than it appears. I think the simplest thing to do would be to ask the network administrator if can register a router as your one MAC address. I really do not think that this is going to work, but it is possible. You need to ask the administrator, because I believe it is impossible to tell without knowing more about the setup of your network.

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,253 Posts
Your only option is to talk to the owner of the network . . Please read our rules, a link to them is at the top of every page.

NETWORK RESTRICTIONS
We will not assist any user who, in our opinion, is clearly trying to circumvent his company network protocols or restrictions put on his system by a Network Administrator. Again we have no ability to assess the user's intent

Thread closed

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.