Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a server and he give me 500 MB on his server. This is a Linux server and supprt PHP script.
Now I want to use database with mySQL on my website. What I must do ?
When I study PHP, I test my PHP script on localhost. I have no experience remote server.
I need all your help.

·
Registered
283 Posts
i always thought that php and mysql go hand in hand so if one was installed it was already installed guess i was wrong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PHP is programing language, mySQL is database management system. They're different.
Some one help me, please

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Hey Doan_Du,

XZanE does have a point. The best combination is PHP and MySQL. I understand the differneces between but they are practically made for each other. :grin:

I don't own a Linux System so I have never tried setting up a server there. All that will be needed is to have the server read your mySQL nad php code etc.
Please specify which server to see if I can help you further.

Have a fun and computing day,
Grove :cool:

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Modifying mySQL databases is easy! I use them myself on my own server so I'll tell you how it can be done. PHP and mySQL do work wonders together, especially for forums like this one and other things that you want dynamic updating with. In order to actually access the databses you'll need a program that can tap into them. I recommend mySQL Control Center. last I remember it's free and works great for working on databases. You can create servers, drop servers, create databses, add users, set permissions, query, all of that!

·
Banned
66 Posts
By the sounds of it you don't actually have a MySQL Database, and if not then kindly ask your friend if you can get one (Ask for phpmyadmin too, as it is a good program for SQL)

Although if you do have access to a Database than you should probably follow the advice of the other ppl (It's still worth asking for phpmyadmin)

·
Registered
185 Posts
to check for mysql do

telnet localhost 3306

if it connects then mysql is running. if he doesnt have telnet installed do

netstat -pan

if you see a line like:

tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:3306 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN -

then mysql is listening on 3306 like it should.

Now if he has it he must give you an account on it (unless you have root and you can give yourself an account) and after you get the account wget the phpmyadmin code. untar then nano/pico/vi config.inc.php and in the first server block

$cfg['Servers'][$i]['controluser'] = ''; // MySQL control user settings
// (this user must have read-only
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['controlpass'] = ''; // access to the "mysql/user"

make those blank ( for security reasons) and change

$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'http'; // Authentication method (config, http or cookie based)?

that line to http like i have (its default config) this way when you go to phpmyadmin you will get a .htaccess like box asking for username and password. If you left it as config then you would have to fill contorluser and controlpass and anyone that found your phpmyadmin url would have access to your db.

Good Luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.