I want to know how to transmit and recieve "media Packets"
via my LAN so I can broadcast the DVDs/Music

Support would be greatly appriciated.

Need any more info just ask.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Hi Karsten,

I have my own radio station- currently down now, because of a problem I'm having with my two hard drives. I use Winamp to stream the music. This, I've found, is the easiest method out there, and is compatible with just about all other media players (i.e., Windows Media, iTunes, Musicmatch, and of course, Winamp can all tune in).

To use this setup, you will need Winamp player, SHOUTcast DNAS server, and the shoutcast winamp plugin. These are all free.

In order to serve from within a network, you'll have to set up port forwarding for port 8000 (or whatever port you choose to serve on).

This is everything you need to get started. If after downloading all of these, you find yourself unsure of what to do, post again and I'll walk you through it- I just don't have the time to write out a guide unless it's needed.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and this is for streaming audio. Video is much more complicated and time-consuming.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

I am thankful for your support on a weird topic, I'll try that and query more if I can't figure it all out. But it is time for :sleep: for me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well....

Well I definitly got the plugins correctly installed (I'm trying a LAN) and media player and all on two computers (for now). I'm ignorant and lost as to the direction I should go for addresses of host and how to pick up on it.
I wish I wasn't so ignorant :sad: well.... help if you feel like it

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Lets see...well, first you really only need shoutcast DNAS server and the shoutcast plugin on the computer with the media you want to stream. All of the other ones can use whatever player is compatible and preferred.

In order to start the music streaming:

1. Start the server. Usually, it's start-> programs -> Shoutcast DNAS -> click on "Shoutcast DNAS"

2. Start winamp, hit options, then preferences. Under "plugins, click "DSP/effect". Click on "Nullsoft SHOUTcast Source DSP vx.xx [dsp_sc.dll]"

This will bring up the settings for the plugin. First thing you need to do is set up your output- Essentially, this plugin connects to your computer, which is now acting as a server for itself. I highly recommend changing the password in C:\Program Files\SHOUTcast\sc_serv.ini to something other than the default. Otherwise, other people can use your server to broadcast their own stuff. This is not good unless you are planning to set up a relay server (which I'm positive you don't want to do). Once that's changed and the file saved, go back into the plugin settings window and change the password to correspond with the one you put in the ini file. Output should be set to 1 (it should be on 1 by default anyway, so just keep it there). In Yellowpages, uncheck the box "make this server public". If left checked, it'll publish your station on Shoutcast. You can keep it on if you want, but if I understand correctly what you are trying to do, you'll want to uncheck it.

Now click on "encoder". This is a fairly tricky part. Since you're planning to serve only to your LAN, you can put this as high as you want- the catch is that it'll only sound as good as your original MP3s. For this reason, it's best to set this to the bitrate of the majority of your MP3s. If you don't know the bitrate, just set it to 128kbps, 44.100kHz, Stereo. This is cd-quality or just about CD-quality. At any rate, you won't notice the difference.

Now click on "input". It should be set on "Wimap". If it's there already, just leave it.

We're almost done now. Click on Output again. This time, hit "connect". It should say "sent 0 bytes". Open up an MP3. After a short time, you should start to see it say "sent 1, 2, 3, 4" (pretty quickly though, a bit is pretty small).

At this point you're ready to test your server. On a different computer, open up a media player. I'd use Winamp to test it, simply because I've had the lease issues with it out-of-box.

Go to file->play URL and type it in like this:

http://x.x.x.x:8000

where x.x.x.x is your internal IP address

If all is well, you should hear music playing on the client computer.

Sorry for the long long explanation, but setting this thing up is really complicated and I didn't want to leave you guessing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well... everything worked until the recieving computers displayed <TIMED OUT>

Wow thanks alot (so far)
Hopefully you can help me on this little problem...

Yes my network is functioning between these two computers for I played a game using th network between them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.