Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way on XP Home to set permissions on a network drive so that only remote users can access a certain folder on the drive but no one else can? Thanks

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Can you explain a bit better what you're trying to do? You don't want local users to access the file? How "remote" are these users, on the same network, or across the Internet?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would be on the network. I want ONLY the remote wireless computer to be able to access a folder on the network drive.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
From what you are asking. I get that you want the laptop to only have access to a single folder on the network drive?
If that is so then you should be able (In my computer tools. map network drive, in the box enter a drive letter ( if your laptop has C: and D: then you can make it E:) I use I: in the other box enter the drive and folder. Example: \\193.0.0.1\share\folder. I believe this will only allow access to this folder.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well if i was going to do that, that would only restrict access to the mapped drive but the folder would still be there though right, available for everyone to access?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for everyones help, i found a program called File Security Manager that did the job.

·
Registered
1 Posts
djw2009913 said:
Thanks for everyones help, i found a program called File Security Manager that did the job.
It really works - I use this UNGSoft's tool at my laptop and even think that I'll register this useful ulility.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.