Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help understanding how bootorder of my harddisks are decided when windows XP boots. I have three sets of disks, one standard SATA 250Gb, one VIA RAID 0 (2xSATA 250Gb) and one Promise sx4000 RAID 5 (4x IDE 250) mounted on a Asus A8V delux mainboard with Amd 64FX2 cpu.

I have windows XP installed on all three diskset and they are booting up nicely when they are alone attached to the computer. When i use the SATA disk as bootdevice, all three disksets works together. When I remove the Promise RAID 5 diskset, I'm able boot from the VIA RAID 0 diskset, but never when the RAID 5 diskset is pressent. Windows wont start booting, no messages, just a black screen. As you may understand i want the VIA Raid 0 to be bootdevice, due to performance, and the RAID 5 to store my pressious data for safety reasons. The last SATA disk is only for backup purposes.

I have spent the whole weekend trying to figure out how to get the VIA and Promise RAID's to work togather, but whithout success. My BIOS allows me to select which disk I want to boot from, but it seems that the Promise don't give a damn. Then I tryed to use the SATA as bootdevice and changing the bootdevice in windows boot.ini file, but no! I tryed disk 1,2 and scsi 1,2 and multi 1,2 and any combinations. (by the way, is there a good place where i can find which # to use for adapter and disk, i only guessed). I did the same with the VIA RAID 0 diskset, but I only got a message like "this is not a valid system directory.., not the "missing system" os message. The only good thing about this was that I now know that the VIA diskset is read, I had the boot-menu displayed. I disabled the RAID 5 in the BIOS boot menu, but the result where the same. I removed the SATA disk, still no success.

I'm now focusing on how to disable the RAID 5 bootstrap, any suggestions, there is no such option in Promise driver och PAM. The MS diskpart tool let me only set active partition, which I did on the VIA RAID 0, but whithout result.

Lotts of text, but this is the result of two days work! Any suggestion is wellcome, im out of ideas for now.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ jabben
I am not familiar with your BIOS, but I will share with you what works with my P4P800E-D.

Whenever I add a new drive to my system, the BIOS immediately places it as the default boot drive. I have to go into 'BIOS>boot>removeable drives' and shuffle the drive/array I want to the top as the 1st boot device(or in your case, delete the RAID5 array as a boot device), THEN SAVE the BIOS as is, THEN go to the 'boot device priority'(boot order) and shuffle the correct drive to the top.

I hope it applies to you and works for you, but it may not...it is just a suggestion and your problem may be much deeper and more complex than a mere BIOS config. Let us know if this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THX but that's not it, I made certain that the BIOS points to the right device before booting. It must be something with how the RAID controllers (detected as SCSI devices) handle the boot sequense.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.