Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

I have a laptop running Microsoft Windows 98 SE.

I want to remove the following items from the desktop.

"My Computer"
"My Documents"
"Internet Explorer"
"Recycle Bin"

Thanks for your time.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
You can hide desktop icons using Active Desktop in Win98, but this will hide all icons, including program links.

From http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,114147,pg,10,00.asp
(98) Clean your desktop, part 1: Tired of icons cluttering your desktop? To hide them in Windows 98, right-click the desktop and select Properties. Click the Effects tab and check Hide icons when the desktop is viewed as a Web page. Click OK. Now whenever you want to see a cleaner desktop, all you have to do is right-click it and choose Active Desktop, View As Web Page to send your icons into stealth mode.

(2K, ME, XP) Clean your desktop, part 2: Desktop icons can take up a lot of space in other versions of Windows as well. To hide them in 2000 and Me, right-click the desktop, choose Active Desktop, and make sure Show Web Content is checked. Right-click the desktop again (if needed) and choose Active Desktop, Show Desktop Icons to bring your icons back into view. To hide desktop icons in XP, right-click the desktop and click Arrange Icons By, Show Desktop Icons (to uncheck it). Then repeat the steps to bring the icons back.
You could also try tweakui to hide individual icons and play about with other display options.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have used tweakui, but I am still left with the above icons that are not needed.

I would use Active Desktop, but as you said that would remove all icons.

I only need 4 Icons on my laptops desktop, As the laptop is used for mapping my cars ECU.

Thanks for your time.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
IconX changes the look of the desktop and can remove individual icons

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Not sure about Win98, but try right clicking on the icon and select delete.

This just deletes the shortcut, not the application.

JamesO

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have removed the "My Documents" & "Internet Explorer".
But I am still left with "My Computer" & "Recycle Bin".

I will give IconX a try.

Thanks for your time.

·
Superhuman Computer
1,632 Posts
The only successful way of removing the My Computer icon in 98 is a bit of a half-assed method, but it'll have to do. Change the icon of My Computer to a blank icon. Windows doesn't come with one as standard, so you'll have to make your own. After this, drag the icon to somewhere you're not going to use it, and rename it to a single space. This way it'll be invisible unless you know where it is.

Removing the recycle bin is possible through the use of a registry hack to add a "Delete" option to the right click menu for it.

Two .reg files are attached (although they are actually .reg.txt as the forum doesn't allow .reg files uploaded - remove the .txt to make them work), one will add the delete option to the right click menu, the other will restore the recycle bin to the desktop if you want it back at any point. Simply double click on the .reg file and click "yes" to the option which comes up. Right click on the recycle bin and you should be able to select delete.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.