Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my situation:

In the process of trying to cleanup some troublesome malware, I completely hosed my laptop (compaq). Currently, I'm stuck in Safe Mode, because I ran some freeware called Cleanup (mistook it for CCleaner) on 'local drive temp files', or something like that. So. I can't get back to Normal mode. If that's true, that I can't, I figure I have to restore from the system disk that came with the laptop. I have (supposedly) backed up my whole system on a Maxtor One Touch II external HD using Dantz/Retrospective. What I'm hoping I can do, if I can, is boot back to Windows in Normal mode, reload Windows, and then reload the Retrospective s/w from the CD and then restore my system from the Maxtor backups. If this is feasible, then the question is how to start, using the system disk. Not even sure what HP/Compaq provides on the disc.

(In retrospect, I would have been better off using the system restore and rolled back to an earlier point in time, though I've never tried that. As it is, it's currently turned off.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'm all for that but I'm expecting a worst case scenario. The desktop is looking pretty bad at the moment. Any idea what I should look for on the system disk? Or will it be some obvious .exe file? I've never had to reinstall from scratch or try to recover from something this serious so I'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect from someone's who gone through it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, thanks. I will give it shot tonight when I go home. Since I won't have internet access I wanted to ask all my questions upfront.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
(XP Home SP2)

Following the instructions from another thread here:

Set the computer to boot from cd first in the BIOS
Place the xp cd in cdrom and reboot
Boot from the xp cd and choose install
Ignore the first repair option and continue with install
When windows finds the previous installation and offers to repair
then do the repair

After the 2nd Repair prompt, I got as far as
- copying installation files
- saving config files

Then a Windows blue screen comes and says:
Set up is being restarted. . . . . . . "
Then the system goes back into Safe mode and a dialogue box pops up
that says: "Windows XP Setup cannot run under Safe Mode. Setup will restart now."

So it loops back to "Setup is being restarted. . . . . "

Now what? Do I need to do a Clean Install instead of the Recover(2) or did a miss a setting?

At one point, during the setup it says to take out any disc from drive A:. I assume it also applies to the CD drive with the system disc so that it can try to boot from the hard drive?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
And if I do have to do a clean install (it's an OEM system disc including SP2 from HP/Compaq) will I be able to use the backups on my external hard drive to restore my applications and data? I also have a Driver and Application Recover Disk that came with the laptop but I can't see what's on it at the moment, btw. (I'm at work on a different computer obviously.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
you might not be able to restore the applications off your external hdd, unless you 'imaged' the hdd (using Ghost etc)? The data will be there though, up til the last backup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, thanks for that. I didn't ghost (I used the Dantz/Retrospective that came with the Maxtor), so I'm hoping the other disk will have the applications that came with the system. It's only just a year old so I don't have much on it application-wise except what was delivered. My back up is only a week old so my data should be in pretty good shape. I know I'm way ahead of myself here, but what will happen if I try to do a full restore once I (ever) get the system back up?

I'm worried that since I'm stuck in safe mode the malware could have changed my BIOS. One of the things CWShredder flagged before I made the mistake with CleanUp was CWS.MSconfig. But right now I think it was CleanUp setting that really got me in deep doodoo.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Ancius said:
Okay, thanks for that. I didn't ghost (I used the Dantz/Retrospective that came with the Maxtor), so I'm hoping the other disk will have the applications that came with the system. It's only just a year old so I don't have much on it application-wise except what was delivered. My back up is only a week old so my data should be in pretty good shape. I know I'm way ahead of myself here, but what will happen if I try to do a full restore once I (ever) get the system back up?

I'm worried that since I'm stuck in safe mode the malware could have changed my BIOS. One of the things CWShredder flagged before I made the mistake with CleanUp was CWS.MSconfig. But right now I think it was CleanUp setting that really got me in deep doodoo.
Well, I have yet to see any malware that altrered the BIOS.

Yes, if you wipe/reinstall and use the software to restore (Dantz/Retrospective) you should be fine - if the backup actually worked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.