Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hope this is the right forum. Thank you in advance to the moderator to move it to the appropriate forum. :pray:

My Toshiba Satellite L25-S1216 laptop is slow ever since I had a few blue screens last Spring-Summer. A couple of times damaged (OS) files and sectors had to be fixed with chkdsk and/or SpinRite since last Summer. Extensive testing of the Hitashi Travelstar 60Gb internal Hard Drive indicated that it is healthy. This HD was cloned from the original 40Gb last February-March, which is now in an external enclosure. This 40Gb original HD contains the OS when it was healthy and with essential program files we'd like to preserve.

Note that my PC is not only slow but the jingle sound for instance when you log out is choppy as if the system was overwhelmed to play it.

Following recommendations supported by threads I read it would be good to reinstall windows XP Home Sp3.

My dilemma is that my wife bought this laptop from a teacher friend and we do not have all the license key and CD to reinstall some of import programs (e.g. Microsoft Office and specific math editor and teaching programs). I read that there is a way to reinstall windows and restore the program files and user data from either a back-up of disk image. I wonder if I can adapt this approach to my system? :4-dontkno

Here is what I have:
(a) Toshiba Satellite Intel Celeron M (1.60GHz) 2Gb RAM.
(b) Windows XP Home Edition SP3 installed, license key but no physical CD at the moment (I can purachse it for $20 from Toshiba), only Toshiba recover and application/driver DVD.

(c) 40Gb Hitashi Travelstar in an external enclosure with the healthy Windows XP Home Sp2 (or Sp3) OS and with the essential program files we'd like to preserve.

(d) OneTouch III 160 Gb backup external drive, which contains a back-up image of the full system (60Gb partition) with all the latest user data.

Anyhow some threads on this forum seem to indicate you could re-install Windows and the restore Program files and User Data following an approach used when upgraded motherboards and deploying systems. (e.g. see this thread http://www.techsupportforum.com/f16/hdd-image-159649.html )

The other route that I am considering, if a fresh install can't be done in my case, is re-import the disk image from the original 40Gb drive onto the reformatted 60Gb HD and use the backup to restore the user data from the Maxtor backup drive. It would better than what I have now but it would not be a fresh install - just a cleaner version of the OS after about one year of usage.

:wave: I would appreciate if you could explained the procedure or direct me to the right threads to follow allowing us to restore program files and user data after a fresh install WIndows XP Home.

:smile: Also I would like to take the opportunity with install approaches to create and use three partition on my 60Gb drive for the OS, Program Files/ User Data, so that it will be easier to maintain or laptop form now on. I read about it extensively and I am aware that some programs might not work if not under C: but with backups and original disk image at hand I'd like to give it a try. I would appreciate about your recommendation in implementing this re-organization of my system with three partition on one physical drive.

:sigh: We are on a tight budget until I get a job and we need to stretch the life of our laptop as much as we can. I apologize for this lengthy thread and hope to hear from you soon for guidance. :smile:

Thanks,
Donat

·
Registered
83 Posts
your problem description was a bit lengthy, so i didn't read it all. i believe a reimage (www.reimage.com) would do you better than a reinstall. a reimage will check your windows system files for corruption without having to reinstall your OS. but, if it does come down to that, your going to need another hard drive to clone your primary.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Hello

your post was not too long ...... gives all the important info we need to give you the most accurate answers:

lets start :

first off the procedure I outlined was a Win XP "REPAIR" install ...... this fixes windows hardware only problems and doesnt mess with your programs or data ...... this is a very common approach for someone who has recently changed or upgraded their motherboard

B) system restore disks from Toshiba will return your system to the day it was brand new with all the undesirable "bloat ware" that comes with an OEM system .......these are also called "destructive recoveries" they recover ONLY the original set-up as the system was the day you first turned it on ........ anything YOU have added will be lost

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for reply.

As Linderman just pointed out the Recovery CD warns that all data will be lost so no it does not recover without loss. It might be different if I had the Windows XP CD itself and could try to repair the OS.

I have a large external back up drive on which I could define another partion if I needed another drive. As I explained I have the original 40Gb with a cleaner OS on it which was replaced with the current 60Gb HD. A full system back-up/image is currently on my Maxtor OneTouch III external backup hard disk, which has only one partition of 160Gb and 55Gb used only.

Regarding Re-image looks good but it is pricey. I never heard of it before. Does anyone else have experience with re-image confirming it is as good as a re-install of a fresh Windows XP os?

Thanks,
Donat

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
your one year old clone sounds like the best of your options if you cant afford a new windows disk ?????

the oldest clone would not be very desirable because you would be importing the same problem which is making your system sluggish ....... the only way the OS environment would get any better is "if" your current boot drive was the culprit of making the system Slooooooow ......... I doubt that is your situtation ?

if you retain your current boot drive ........ can you reinstall your beloved programs from your current boot drive ?????? I know with MS office you cant ...... but not sure about other software you need ?

as for what making your system sloooooow ......... its most likely a messy windows registry which after about 1-1/2 years gets very bogged down

there are ways to make a new windows installation from what you have ......... please look in your C drive and see if you see a folder named I386

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
an image is a "snap-shot" of your hard drive data .......... if your hard drives data is flakey ...... so will be any restoration from that image file

images dont FIX anyting ...... they simply copy what you had; good or bad; to another hard drive or partition

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
you really have two choices as I see things:

A) totally clean install of windows >>>>>> then you will need to reinstall all your programs and import your data

B) restore your one year old clone to another partition and then make that your new boot environment

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I know of ways you can install a clean copy of windows ........ as long as no hardware has been changed you wont even be prompted to re-activate

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Linderman,

I checked for boot sector with chkdsk, and used spinrite from a friend when I could not boot up a couple weeks ago. Spinrite recovered and repair the sectors error and I am now back and running but with a very slow pc - minutes to boot up and to open applications.

So I am glad you can confirm there is a way to make a new windows.

Yes I do have I386 folder in C:\Windows and other places under that point (e.g. c:\windows\system32\reinstallbackups).

Since I have a windows xp license if I can obtain a physical windows xp home edition OS cd would that help?
Does it have to be from Toshiba (i.e. OEM OS CD) or any would do?

Thanks Linderman for guiding me and clarifying in reinstall this process.
Donat

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The only hardware change on this laptop was the increase of memory to 2gb and it might have been down after I swapped the 40Gb HD with a 60Gb HD by cloning HD image.

Besides using my old clone image onto the reformatted internal drive and restoring the latest user data on top, what ways do you recommend for reinstalling Windows?

I saw a link to msdn webside where I can get Windows XP Home Edition Sp3 but lost it, using a windowslive login to download it. Would it be a way to readily get/burn an install cd for me to use with my OEM license (on the back of my laptop) without having to pay Toshiba $20 for a copy to receive within a week?

DOnat

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
you can use a buddies win xp home CD ........ what makes everything legit is using YOUR rightful 25 character CD install code which should be on a windows sticker on the bottom of your laptop

the windows CD does not have to come from toshiba !!

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
what we are doing is no different if your windows CD became too scratched or damaged to use ..... or lost

you have all the files you need for a clean install of windows ............

you will need to install ALL programs and data again ..............

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Linderman,

So if I understand I can re-install Windows XP from the I386 folder - correct?

you said "you will need to install ALL programs and data again .............."
But I do not have the original install CD for all teh licensed programs installed on the system now. Will I be able to use the program files from my original disk image of the 40Gb external drive and user data from Maxtor back up 160Gb drive on top of the fresh install?

If yes, is the approach the same as in the thread http://www.techsupportforum.com/f16/hdd-image-159649.html and included links?

Do you recommend against trying to create new partition on the one physical drive to separate out OS, Program Files and User data in distinct partition?

Thank you so much for following up and clarifying all this.
Donat

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
ahhhhhhhh you dont have the CD's for the programs you want to run / bummer

you will need to use your one year old image and restore from that .......... provided of course your beloved programs were installed into that operating system's registry ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Yes, all the programs were already installed on teh disk image from last Feb.March.

I wonder if Microsoft could help me extract the current license key to re-install Office if I can get the related physical install cd/dvd. It would still be a drag though, since my wife changed school system and some of the software she uses for teaching were installed by her former school and she does not have the install cd at all.

Most of everything could be re-install painstakingly.

I have Windows XP Home Edition Sp1 CD from a friend... Shall locate Sp2 or Sp3 or it would not matter for the install?

Also if I can install from I386 I would not need a CD, would I?

Thanks,
D

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
if you install from the SP1 CD thats fine ...... it will work

you can also install from the I386 folder just fine

if you recover from the image file you made ....... then you wont have to install anything ?

if you use the Jelly Bean Key Finder (free) you will then see your win xp install code as well as your MS office key ........ I am pretty sure

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.