Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing my old Windows 2000 server with a newer Windows 2000 server, but I need to move all the DNS, DHCP, WINS, and FSMO roles/services from the old to the new. I moved the DHCP, WINS, and FSMO roles/services. My DNS server zones are in Active Directory Integrated Primary server instead of a traditional Primary zone. So, I created another DNS server on the newer server with the same matching zones, and I can see them on the new server, i.e. forwarding zones and reverse zones. But when I open the DNS Manager on this newer server, the description in the window still says "Configure the DNS Server". The DNS monitoring tool says OK. I have had the old server shut down since last night and today people logged in OK, mapped drives OK, and surfed OK. Any ideas?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I did not demote the old server because in all three (3) of Microsoft's KB articles (816101, 198437, and 323383) this step is not decribed for a Windows 2000 server. Is this what you have done? Thanks for the input...greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
You need to demote the old server because AD will still look for the old one for replication. Also make sure that one of the existing DCs has the Global Catalog.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just dcpromoed the old server, waited one hour, rebooted the new server, but with the same results...When I open DNS it says "Configure the server". But, it is working just fine. Even netdiag -v reports not issues. Wierd, eh? Any ideas? Thanks for any help, greatly appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.