Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently upgraded my wired only modem to modem+wireless router.

[off topic: this solved my year old browsing problem. Before I couldn't visit certain sites from new versions of Linux distros. I found out that was because my old modem was in bridged mode. I set the new one to pppoe and the problem solved finally].

SO my pc is connected with wire with this new modem+router and I use my phones on wifi. I want to monitor the traffic like how many devices are connected to the wifi, and what channel it is using and how much data the wifi is taking etc.

Can that be done from pc without logging in everytime inside the modem? How?

·
Alternative Computing, Moderator
2,754 Posts
I recently upgraded my wired only modem to modem+wireless router.

[off topic: this solved my year old browsing problem. Before I couldn't visit certain sites from new versions of Linux distros. I found out that was because my old modem was in bridged mode. I set the new one to pppoe and the problem solved finally].

SO my pc is connected with wire with this new modem+router and I use my phones on wifi. I want to monitor the traffic like how many devices are connected to the wifi, and what channel it is using and how much data the wifi is taking etc.

Can that be done from pc without logging in everytime inside the modem? How?

No, only from monitoring the router.momem logs. If you have set up wireless security using WPA2 then you are quite secure, there will be a page called, Home Network, or Internal LAN or similar that will tell you what devices are connected to your router.

You probably know how to do this, but if you need a specific answer then you need to state the exact make and model of wireless router.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No, only from monitoring the router.momem logs. If you have set up wireless security using WPA2 then you are quite secure, there will be a page called, Home Network, or Internal LAN or similar that will tell you what devices are connected to your router.

You probably know how to do this, but if you need a specific answer then you need to state the exact make and model of wireless router.
I saw the list of devices under dhcp clients on the router page.
I'm using dlink 2730u. I'm using wpa2psk AES personal.

Wish I could use a service like netgear genie.

I would love to set a limit on devices that can be connected. And also I have a data cap of 6GB, beyond that my speed decreases. So I would like to keep track of data spent by my PC and phones.

·
Alternative Computing, Moderator
2,754 Posts
I saw the list of devices under dhcp clients on the router page.
I'm using dlink 2730u. I'm using wpa2psk AES personal.

Wish I could use a service like netgear genie.

I would love to set a limit on devices that can be connected. And also I have a data cap of 6GB, beyond that my speed decreases. So I would like to keep track of data spent by my PC and phones.
6GB could get used easily. Be careful with phones, they can update and use your data without you knowing, safe way is to disable the wifi on the mobiles.

Some ISP's have a page that you can log into to check your usage stats and allowance. May be worth an email to them if they offer such a service.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.