Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I suspect my main hard drive is dying, which has Windows 7 on it. So I attached another drive and installed Windows 7 on it, so in case the main drive fails at least I will have a bootable computer. The problem is that the MBR is on the main drive, so without the main drive the new drive fails to boot. How can I make the Windows 7 on the new drive boot without having the main drive connected to my computer? I can't install Windows using a DVD as my DVD writer is busted. Thanks.
Edit: I have a linux live bootable cd, which works with my DVD writer..

·
Microsoft-Team Manager , Hardware - Team Manager
68,848 Posts
That won't solve the optical drive issue, and the link I gave will fix the second drive since windows cannot boot without the MBR

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
I offered xxclone as a way to get him going without fixing the optical drive. The way you offered requires him to fix it first and may cause enough delay that his failing hd will so south on him.

Offered? Where? I do not see it in the thread. If you are helping the OP via a PM please do not do that keep it in the forum.

Forum Rules

Thanks

·
68,848 Posts
Post 3 but you still need a way to use it either usb or from a disc however the correct method to fix the mbr has been posted.

·
68,848 Posts
You did not state how he would use xxclone would it be from usb.
The MBR is as stated in the OP's first post on the wrong drive this usually occurs when you install windows with another drive installed,Fixing the MBR on the new drive is simply done by the method described,I also gave an alternate for using usb.
your not under attack because we feel the method offered by MS is the correct one,we simply do not agree which is no big thing, we all have an opinion and your able to state yours.

·
Registered
41,062 Posts
So I attached another drive and installed Windows 7 on it
How did you install Windows 7 on the secondary drive?
When you have a bootable Windows 7 drive attached, and you install Windows on another partition or drive, it uses the same boot file that is on the first install.
If you remove the first failing drive and boot off of a DVD Windows disk or however your installed Windows 7 like with USB Flash drive, then choose to Repair Your Computer. It should replace the boot file on the new Windows 7 installation. If that fails, it should take you to the RE (recovery environment) here you can choose Command Prompt. type bootrec.exe/fixboot. Then boot normally. Once you attach the old failing HDD. You will have a problem booting to the old Windows 7 unless you state in the Bios which drive has priority to boot from.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.