Win to flash

Installation disk:
Windows XP Professional

USB flash drives used:
Adata G08G 8GB
Adata c906 16GB
Pretec 8GB
Imation 4GB

Have tried close to 100 times and all failed.
Sometimes failed at formating the flash drive.
Othertimes failed at installing the OS from the flash drive, saying, "... cannot find the files of Windows ...."

Does anybody have successful experiences and like to share?

Thank you!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi first I have to ask is the computer able to boot from usb,did you need to add a sata\raid driver, this is one method Illustrated walk-through: Creating a bootable USB flash drive for Windows XP | TechRepublic
Is the computer able to boot from usb?
Yes. It is a relatively new computer, a product of 2009, a netbook.

And the UFDs as mentioned in article of the line are the products of last couple of years, i.e., USB 2.0.

As for the MartPE, the new programs either do not require this part or have already taken care of it. This is what I quess.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok this is on the program your using Install Windows XP From USB Flash Drive it is in 2 parts
Thanks!

The part 2 of the above mentioned link is the same as what I have used: usbxp.
The step by step operations are almost the same as that of usbxp.

With usbxp, there is no problem in the making of the bootable usb flash drive. The problem is: It won't complete the installation.
Problems like:
The install program cannot find the files including Windows....
or
"NTLDR is missing" or ".... \hal.dll .... missing or corrupted" shows up when GUI mode starts in the installing process.
or
Installation stops at the end of the installation at no more than 35 minutes to finish.

What is wrong?

Thanks.
Vicky

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Create a bootable USB stick from a Windows Disk | Tech Support Forum

did someone link this ? didn't see it as i scrolled through,

ive made a few bootable windows usb sticks this way but ive never formatted xp using a pendrive.

Since it looks like it is getting expensive for you , and you are looking for a cheaper solution, just purchase a usb cd rom. It works just as good with a ghost xp cd . Just make sure its legal xD.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Create a bootable USB stick from a Windows Disk | Tech Support Forum

did someone link this ? didn't see it as i scrolled through,

ive made a few bootable windows usb sticks this way but ive never formatted xp using a pendrive.

Since it looks like it is getting expensive for you , and you are looking for a cheaper solution, just purchase a usb cd rom. It works just as good with a ghost xp cd . Just make sure its legal xD.
I have used Win to Flash many times. And it ended with the similar failures as
USBXP.

Yes. I know the easy way out. And in fact, I have a USB CD ROM. There is special purpose for making the bootable UFD.

"Just make sure its legal xD." Does it make any difference whether the CD is or is not legal? All what Win to Flash or USBXP does is copying the OS from the CD to the UFD. Thus, whatever works on the CD should work on the UFD.
Am I right? Correct me, please, if I am wrong. A simple thinking of a simple mind.

Thanks.
Vicky

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you tried the bootable usb drives on another pc ?
Thank you!

I have the newly made bootable UFD tried on two other laptops and found
it working very well. So, the problem is the laptop.

Thank you!
Vicky

·
Microsoft-Team Manager , Hardware - Team Manager
68,867 Posts
Glad you found the problem good call by tyza

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
It was an easy test and it seems like you have been investing quite a lot into this task and i just wanted that to stop xD .

Anyway, now that we have confirmed that it is not the stick, we can begin diagnosing your laptop if you want.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.