Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Related thread : http://www.techsupportforum.com/f10/step-by-step-reformating-and-install-win-xp-219000.html

Am trying to instookall a Seagate SATA HD in my notebook and put XP on it. The drive is identical to the original that has Vista on it, just smaller (80 gig vs 120 gig) During setup XP asks for a HD driver but wil only allow installing the driver from a floppy, this machine has NO floppy. I have the OEM driver CD but am at a loss as to how to get the SATA driver onto the new drive...? Not sure if that is problem. Used Maxblast to partition the drive but the drive does not show up on the main channel. It shows up in the BIOS/CMOS and Maxblast can see it but also indicated the drive was on a "other" channel. The XP setup routine insists there is no HD in the system. Is this possibly a bad HD? I formatted it once NTFS then tried FAT32, no good either way. I am using the old Vista drive right now, no problem with it. Please suggest...
Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Hi Tim !

It's better to start your own thread since your problem is not the same as the other user's and we prefer to keep one thread per user anyway.

You'll first have to find the proper XP drivers for the SATA controller used by your laptop. What's your laptop brand and model ? Go on the manufacturer's website and see if they have the SATA/RAID drivers for XP. If they don't have them then look for the chipset used by your laptop and download those drivers from the chipset manufacturer's website.

Once that's done please see these threads to learn how to allow XP to detect your SATA drive by changing some settings in the BIOS or how to load the SATA drivers when you have no floppy drive :
http://www.techsupportforum.com/f10/cant-install-windows-xp-on-my-laptop-205196.html#post1227152
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/resolving-setup-did-not-find-any-hard-disk-drives-during-windows-xp-installation/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New SATA drive inaccessable

I have a 2 month old MSI notebook that came with Vista on a Seagate SATA 120 gig, 7200 rpm 2 1/2" drive. I bought a new drive identical to the OEM except the capacity of 80 GB. I also purchased new XP OS package from Microsoft to "upgrade" my system so it does what I want it to. After installing the new clean drive I used Maxblast to partition it. First fromatted the drive as NTFS, then FAT32, no luck. The 80 gig drive shows up in the BIOS/CMOS but XP will not install insisting there is no hard disc in the machine. Maxblast saw the drive on an 'other' channel, not the main or primary. Can anyone tell me what's going? Could it be a bad 'new' drive?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Re: New SATA drive inaccessable

You will need to install a SATA driver with F6 during the first part of the install. Try the notebook manufacturers site. The only problem is they may not have provided an XP driver for the new hardware.

While you there see if they have the other drivers for XP, i.e, chipset,audio, etc.

·
Registered
23,001 Posts
@derail: Do not post your query in multiple threads. That only causes confusion for the staff - and you...
I have moved your thread in hard drive support here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks,
Sorry for my newb bumbling.... I contacted Tech Support, the advise was to get a refund on the new drive and live with Vista. Don't know about most of you guys, that just makes me more determined.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
The problem is that it's pretty hard to find the proper XP drivers for most laptops that come with Vista preinstalled. But in most cases it's still doable with a little research on the internet so if you don't want to live with Vista you probably don't have to. Read this thread if you want to know more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks justpassingby. I have located what seen to be the correct drivers on Intel's site in a self extract. Next question: I have a desktop with XP that has a SATA drive in it now. Am considering getting a mobile SATA to desktop SATA adapter (if there is one) and after extracting the drivers, copying the files to the new notebook drive. Has anyone you know of tried this? The slipstream approach sounds a bit complicated... Will try the slipstream route if all else fails. It may be worth the effort just to have the disk just in case of drive disaster. Obviously a total drive failure would make restoring a backup to a new drive impossible. Thanks for the help, am getting closer on this thing.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Copying the drivers on the drive won't help, they need to be accessed to during the installation process, either from a floppy or from the XP CD (the drivers being on the hard drive would be like the key to a closed door being behind the door). Once you have the sata drivers slipstreaming them in the XP CD using nlite is really easy. This guide explains it all. If the drivers are packed in a .exe file it also explains how to unpack them (you'll need the unpacked .inf and .sys files).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.