Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've got a serious problems with installing Windows XP; I will appreciate any help and I'm sorry for my English.

I need to install Windows XP on TOSHIBA Portege R500 notebook.
This machine was delivered with pre-installed Windows Vista; now, when I run this notebook from a Windows Vista DVD everything goes well, I mean the Setup can see the hard drive without having to provide the SATA controller drivers from a floppy disk, and of course it can see the builtin DVD-RW drive, so there is no problem with installing Vista on it.
But there is a problem when I try to setup Windows XP - I need to provide the SATA controller drivers on a floppy disk (the floppy disk drive is connected to the USB port, so it's not a problem); after a first phase of copying files, the Setup restarts the machine and then stops because it wants me to enter the path where the setup files are stored, even though the Windows XP (with SP3 integrated) is inside the external USB DVD-RW drive. I need to use this external DVD-RW drive, because the Setup can't see the builtin drive.
I'm sure the Setup cannot see USB FDD and USB DVD-RW drives during the installation (and it also cannot see the builtin drive), because when I start the Command Propmpt during the setup, the C: drive is the only drive visible.
I can copy the CD contents to the hard drive, but this way the Setup asks me for the file path for every single file it tries to copy, so I'd have to enter the path about 1500 times.
I also tried installing this system from the hard disk using DOS and winnt.exe to start the Setup, but it also didn't work because this way the Setup don't ask for the SATA controller drivers and after the first restart Setup cannot even start and continue the installation, because it cannot see the hard drive.
Any ideas how to solve these problems?
Thanks in advance.

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,253 Posts
Some BIOS allow an Alternate method for SATA . . Go into the bios and check the "Sata Operation" setting, change it to "Raid Autodetect/ATA if it is not already. Now try to install XP

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Some BIOS allow an Alternate method for SATA . . Go into the bios and check the "Sata Operation" setting, change it to "Raid Autodetect/ATA if it is not already. Now try to install XP
I can't do it because this notebook doesn't allow to change the BIOS settings, I cannot even "enter the BIOS" - there is no such option, I tried many button combinations (Del, Ins, F1, F2, F10, F12 etc.).
The only thing I can do is to change the boot device order.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot, simpswr!
Finally I'm able to enter the BIOS; I've set the SATA operation mode to IDE and I've installed Windows XP from the hard drive, because the Setup still can't see the internal DVD-RW drive.
Currently I'm repairing this installation because there were several problems with copying files, any ideas why? (the file system is FAT32 and the installation source was in the folder on the C: drive).
Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.