Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using an old computer as a storage computer at my home network.

Recently I brought a 300GB Maxtor Maxline III SATA Harddisk...
I thought i had the right one looking that SATA looked familar but it looks like i have the regular IDE ATA. (Serial and Power Cable connecting to my old 120 ATA drive.

What am I suppose to do to add this 300GB SATA Hard disk. The connector of this SATA is nothing I've seen before.

Thanks

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
The PCI card from newegg is by far the better choice. But exactly what are your trying to do ?????

I hope you want to add a SATA drive to a computer that doesnt have a Sata controller ?????????

regards

joe

·
Registered
7,747 Posts

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
if youre just looking to add another drive / then thats super easy / buy an IDE drive and connect it to that grey connector with the little blue pull tab / set the jumper on the new drive to slave???????

or is it that you want to experiment with the faster Sata drives ??????

regards

joe

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
linderman said:
The PCI card from newegg is by far the better choice. But exactly what are your trying to do ?????

I hope you want to add a SATA drive to a computer that doesnt have a Sata controller ?????????

regards

joe
Yeah exactly what I'm trying to do.... this old computer doesn't have SATA and i want it to have SATA... basically

crazijoe said:
This one will work

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidman
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16816102045

But you don't have to spend that kind of money for it.
Just get something link this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16815124006
You don't need a controller that is compatible with SATAII. SATAII is backwards compatible with standard SATA.

I notice you have an older Compaq Persario 7000 series computer. If you ever decide to get ride of it, let me know.
Thanks, about selling this baby... it'll be a while because it just acts as my storage server... 700mhz 128RAM is all i need to do that...

linderman said:
if youre just looking to add another drive / then thats super easy / buy an IDE drive and connect it to that grey connector with the little blue pull tab / set the jumper on the new drive to slave???????

or is it that you want to experiment with the faster Sata drives ??????

regards

joe
I should of done that but I already have this 300 GB SATA HD in my hand so thats why i'm asking how to convert since i never dealt with SATA before

ANYWAY, THANKS FOR THE HEADSUP GUYS

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ liquidman
You'll also probably need a SATA power adapter as SATA HDDs have a different power connector and older PSU's usually don't have the updated SATA connectors. It's another added expense and maybe a reason to return the SATA and get a PATA HDD. You will see no performance benefit over a PATA drive with the SATA HDD and SATA PCI card.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yikes
should placed the order together w/ my PCI card

oh wells i'll just get it from a local computer shop
just to make sure...

that is the converter for IDE power to SATA power right ?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ liquidman
yes that is correct a PATA(IDE) to SATA power adapter :sayyes:

@oldmn
Thanks for the posted link to the adapter :sayyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.