Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT 2: SEE SOLUTION IN REPLY #16
EDIT 1: I will edit this thread a bit, because it changed from "How do I get the Language Packs" to "How to install Language Packs OFFLINE?"

So my question is: How do I install Language Packs on a Windows Computer that is running completely offline? All I found was guides on how to add the languages to an image of Windows, but I need to add languages to a running Computer.

What I tried so far:
I got the Languages and Optional Features ISO, on this as far as I understand, I need to install the Microsoft-Windows-Client-Language-Pack_x64_es-es.cab (for example Spanish) using lpksetup.exe.

It installed the Language Pack successfully, but still I can't change it in the Settings App.
I also tried other Language Packs and also tried without lpksetup, instead tried with DISM.
Another thing I tried was directly installing the "Local Experience Packs" from the Microsoft Store, by downloading as .appx files.

Sadly none of this works, even though the Language Packs get installed successfully.
Why can't I change the language in the Settings App?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply.
I actually found exactly that thread before, and it helped me a bit to understand, but the stuff there is outdated sadly.

I found what I really need, but can't find it.
Exactly this I need, just for Windows 11 22H2:
It's direct links to the official downloads of the Windows 10 language files.
And that is exactly what I need, just for Windows 11 22H2...

For example, on that site I posted, it leads to links like that. It is the direct download link of the Windows 10 x64 Swedish Language Pack:

Is there any chance you know how to find out exactly these links, just for Windows 11?

EDIT:
Here is another of these link-collections. It's always Windows 10.. All I need is exactly this for Windows 11:
How did they find out the direct links of the Language Packs? Because I don't find any website that has links to the official Microsoft servers for Windows 11.

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,227 Posts
I think the language pack for 10 is going to be the same for 11. The basic OS is the same, the Packs should also be the same.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the language pack for 10 is going to be the same for 11. The basic OS is the same, the Packs should also be the same.
I just tried installing one by using: dism /online /add-package /packagepath:"*"

It gave me Error 0x800f081e and said: "The specified package is not applicable to this image"

So it doesn't seem to work with older versions of the Language Pack.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks for the reply.

First link doesn't contain any information about OFFLINE Language Packs.
It shows how to connect to the Internet and download the languages via the Settings App in Windows 11 (which requires the Internet).
But for Windows 7 the link would have been correct actually, because it is the right page where you can download the Windows 7 Offline Language Packs.
For some reason they decided to remove that way for Windows 8-11, and it needs to be downloaded directly from the Update Server. But I didn't find any links to that for Windows 11.. only for Windows 10 I found some.

Second link is about how to add Language Packs to a Setup (as far as I understand, it is about adding Language Packs to an Windows 11 Installation Media, such as an ISO or an USB Stick.
But I need to add single languages on a running, already installed Windows 11 Computer.

Third link seems to be about something different at all. I don't even see the connection to Language Packs.
But thank you anyway for sharing! It was worth a try.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
But thank you anyway for sharing! It was worth a try.
Sorry, but that's about all I could find. Microsoft is moving towards software as a service. Win 11 is designed to be connected to the Internet, even more so than Win 10 was. Everything about additional language pack installation that I could find assumed an active Internet connection. The only workaround I could figure out was to create an install disk with the specific language packages included.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only workaround I could figure out was to create an install disk with the specific language packages included.
If nothing else works, I will need to do that.
But I still have hope that someone discovers the files on the Update Server, similar to the links that I posted for Windows 10.
I really wonder how it can be found out. Maybe by downloading the Pack files via Settings App and observing the incoming traffic to the computer?
Maybe that is how to find out the direct links to the latest Windows 11 Language .cab files?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
This Link Install Windows 10 language pack manually from Post #2 shows you how to install the .CAB file Language pack
Yes, and it is very helpful. But I need to get the .cab files in the first place.
So I wonder where to download them.
I found something promising, and will later try it:

It seems to be downloading the files from the official Microsoft servers, so it's actually giving me access to the Language Pack files without downloading the whole ISO.
I'm curious if it will work, and I will later report.

Going off-topic for a moment, sorry, but it needs to be said:
I downgraded to 21H2. It is just horrible in what direction 22H2 is going:
  • Forced Microsoft Account (Can't even be tricked by disconnecting from internet! Needs other tricks and editing of the actual install ISO!)
  • New Task Manager with horrible design (I couldn't belive my eyes when I opened it first)
  • Much more cloud-based nonsene
  • Couldn't manage to disable web-search in Windows Search anymore
  • Much more that I didn't even discover, and luckily decided to downgrade without wasting more time

I wouldn't be surprised if my earlier attempts with the change of language just failed because of 22H2.

You can trust me, I always was the most tolerant person about Windows Updates and getting a newer OS.
I was quick with getting 10, got it like on the first few months of release. Meanwhile all people said "Windows is dead, it's completely different and unusable".
With Windows 11 I was even more quick, I got it in the first week of release. Again, all people said "Windows is dead, it's completely different and unusable".
But with 22H2 the point has finally come: To me, Windows is dead, it's completely different and unusable. You will not see me upgrading for the next couple of years.

Sorry for off-topic. But I need to say that.
It's such a bad update, it's not even worth to me, to give it credit by creating a thread to complain.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I didn't have the time to try yet.
I will check if the packages are same, and also will try to get the exact version of Language Packs that my current Windows is running on.

I am not so sure if 10 and 11 have the same Language Packs, because I think 11 has some slight differences in features, and so it would need specific translations for the apps/services that Windows 11 has, but 10 doesn't.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I didn't have the time to try yet.
I will check if the packages are same, and also will try to get the exact version of Language Packs that my current Windows is running on.

I am not so sure if 10 and 11 have the same Language Packs, because I think 11 has some slight differences in features, and so it would need specific translations for the apps/services that Windows 11 has, but 10 doesn't.
According to Microsoft, language packs are not even compatible between different builds of Windows 10, much less between Windows 10 and 11. Also, Windows 11 handles language packs in a different way then Windows 10 does. Like it or not, Windows 11 is designed as "software as a service" and requires both a Microsoft account and an internet connection to function properly. While there are currently "workarounds" that people are using to get around these requirements, Microsoft has stated that these will not always be available to future builds of Windows 11.

• Language components must match the version of Windows. For example, you can't add a Windows 10, version 1809 language pack to Windows 10, version 1803.
  • In Windows 11 Home, a Microsoft account is required, and with Windows 11 version 22H2, Windows 11 Pro also will require an internet connection and Microsoft account for personal use.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
According to Microsoft, language packs are not even compatible between different builds of Windows 10, much less between Windows 10 and 11. Also, Windows 11 handles language packs in a different way then Windows 10 does. Like it or not, Windows 11 is designed as "software as a service" and requires both a Microsoft account and an internet connection to function properly. While there are currently "workarounds" that people are using to get around these requirements, Microsoft has stated that these will not always be available to future builds of Windows 11.

• Language components must match the version of Windows. For example, you can't add a Windows 10, version 1809 language pack to Windows 10, version 1803.
  • In Windows 11 Home, a Microsoft account is required, and with Windows 11 version 22H2, Windows 11 Pro also will require an internet connection and Microsoft account for personal use.
1. So I was right, it needs to be the exact same build for the languages as the installed Windows is. That actually makes sense, because with each update come new features, which would lack translations if one would use an older Language Pack.
2. I will try installing Windows 11 22H2 without internet and without Microsoft Account by using Rufus. It promises to make a bootable USB stick with some configurations changed, so it will skip Account login, and instead is forced to create a Local User. Let's see if that works.

Just curious: How did you come to that conclusion that the Windows 10 Language Packs will work on Windows 11? @spunk.funk @Rolfdoin
I still would like to try it, just for curiousity, but I think it won't be stable at all (even if it works), because of missing translations.
I already tried it once, but it gave me an error that I earlier mentioned. But still I think I might have done some mistake. I will try it again.
But from the UUP dump website I will be able anyway to get the right files, for the right build.

EDIT: No matter what way I try to install the Language Packs, I simply can't select them in the Language Options.
I got them installed, various languages for testing purpose, but none of them work. When I try to install them again, it says, that I already got them installed.
I think there is something missing, maybe something like a registry entry?

Also, I edited the first post, because the thread changed a bit. I already have the files, but I didn't find a way to install them correctly.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Good news: I did it!
At step 5 I got stuck before, because I couldn't find a way to activate the language, and some minor things are uncertain, but I will write them below.

I will tell you how, but it's not so straightforward:
Preparation is a USB stick or something, to carry the install file to the offline computer.
Other preparation is to know the build number of the installed Windows there. For that go to Start on Windows and search "winver" and check for the exact version. There should be written "Microsoft Windows" and in the next line in my example "Version 22H2 (Build 22621.XXX)". You need to have the exact build and obviously the exact version of Windows. The last digits behind the actual build are not so important I think. So remember that build number for further steps.

1. Go to Microsoft Store, search for "Local Experience Pack" and select the one with the desired language obviously and copy the link.
2. Go to... well any Microsoft Store app-downloader (I don't know for sure if they are legal, so I won't post it, but Google really easily finds some).
3. Then on the app-downloader page there is a huge list with different versions of that specific Local Experience Pack, and find that build number. In our example it is the US one: "Microsoft.LanguageExperiencePacken-US_22621.1.1.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe.appx".
So from all these different builds, search the one matching to the actual computer's build.
4. Next step is to simply download it, and install the .appx file. It will automatically install all of this, and I think it even includes the handwriting stuff, speach recognition, etc. but I'm not 100% sure.
5. Go to Settings App > Time & Language > Language & Region > Add a language
6. There add the exact language you installed. Be careful to not add the wrong language (like you want US English, but instead choose Indian English), or else there can be problems, missing translations, or maybe even crashes(?).
7. If you continue, it will eventually warn you, that there is no internet connection, and that some features will be missing. But this can be ignored, skipped and just continue, because exactly these features they warn about, are the exact features that you just installed with the .appx Local Experience Pack.
8. Then back in the Settings App, go to "Windows Display Language" and simply change it to the new language, log off, log back in, and the language is installed, completely offline, without internet connection.

Some uncertainties (would appreciate if someone has some ideas or opinions):

Apps didn't change language:

Windows is successfully showing the right language, but most Apps still are running on the original language. For example, all the integrated apps (such as Paint, etc.) are still using the original installed language. For that I didn't find a way yet to change the language. Good thing is, that they are Microsoft Store apps.
So maybe they can be re-downloaded the same way, installed as an .appx file in the right language. But I didn't try that yet.

EDIT: Good news, and bad news. Good news is, I was right about the re-downloading and installing the .appx (or .Msixbundle in some cases). The bad news is... that I was right.. so basically all the Windows 10 Apps need to be reinstalled. It's possible that I will need a new thread for this, because I think there is some way of reinstalling all Windows Apps at once, by some PowerShell, which I am trying right now.
But for now I can say: You need to download all the Windows apps, and run the .appx / .Msixbundle installations, and there they each need to be reinstalled. The installations come in all languages, and the installer will choose the language according to what Windows display language is choosen at the time of reinstalling. I hope there is a better way.

Build number important or not:
I am not entirely sure if the green marked build number is really so important.
But logically I think, it's best to have the Local Experience Pack that's closest to the Windows build, because it could have missing translations or could crash. Honestly, I think all what count's is the Version (such as 22H2), but I might be wrong. In some cases there are no matching builds of the Local Experience Packs to the Windows build, so I'm not entirely sure what to do in that situation. I tried it, and it works, but I can't guarantee that there will be no crashes or missing translations. Maybe better wait for the Local Experience Pack to be updated?

Updates of the Local Experience Pack:
About updates (in case the computer will be connected to the internet at some point), I'm quite sure the Local Experience Pack will just be updated as usual by Windows, because it is the official .appx from the official Microsoft Server, and also is installed in a genuine way, by the official Windows App Installer. So it will be completely integrated into Windows and will be updated the same way, as it would be if it was downloaded and installed by the Settings App or the Microsoft Store (both are the 2 usual ways).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts