Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Vetustior Humo
11,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am attempting to install FF 2.0 - I went to the FF webpage and clicked the download button which downloaded 2.0.0.1.tar.gz which seems to be filled with any number of images and java script files but no obvious installer.

What do I do now?

·
Alternative Computing, Moderator
2,754 Posts
Well as youre running Ubuntu, have you tried, apt-get update or synaptic update to see if its on the repositories?
With knoppix 5.1.1, Firefox 2 is renamed "Iceweasel" so this may be worth checking synaptic for.

To compile from source open a terminal and unzip your file:
tar xzvf firefox2.0.0.1.tar.gz (note you will need exact filename here)

change into the directory you just unzipped to them
./configure (watch for error messages if configure fails to run)
make
make install (as root)

·
Registered
224 Posts
I just went through the same thing that you are going through, and I ended up settling for Swiftfox...which apparently is supposed to be better for Linux.

You might want to check it out, there is an installer on the following website. http://getswiftfox.com/

·
Registered
163 Posts
This is the lazy incorrect way to install firefox, aka my way:

1. download package from site.
2. right click the tarball and open with archive manager. have it untar it in the home directory. just leave all the default options
3. go into the new firefox directory and locate the .bin file.
4. drag that to the taskbar with all of the other quicklaunch icons. name it "firefox" then select a suitable icon. (click the button at the bottom that says "no icon"
5. brows to your home folder and enable the viewing of hidden files. go into the .mozilla directory then the plugins folder. copy and paste all of the plugins from the old firefox into the plugins folder of the firefox directory you just created.

see the lazy way.

Yes it takes up a little more space I know this, but it saves me time.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Don't download it from Mozilla, that just makes it too complicated. Run these two commands in a shell...
Code:
sudo apt-get update
Enter your log on password, then when that is done...
Code:
sudo apt-get install firefox
Now you are all set.

BTW, this is how to install tarballs:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/705542-post9.html

If I remember correctly, Ubuntu came with Firefox. Are you trying to upgrade to FF 2.0? If so, use Kyle's instructions.

·
Vetustior Humo
11,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all, I used the Automatic Installer on the wiki that Kyle posted. Worked like a charm...:pray:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.