Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using Thunderbird as my default email client for a few years now,.. I'd like to use Outlook Express occasionally but I don't have my regular contacts in the OE address book. How do I import the address book from OE to Thunderbird.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi terrawarra,

I had to do this at work a while back. It's a bit of a game but check out this article.

Basically you export the Thunderbird data as a CSV file, import it to OE and map the data to the headers (ie tell OE what the entries in the address book mean).

Though I didn't need it in the end, I started by making a backup of my data first using MozBackup.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mister2,. I'll give it a try. You've also just jogged my memory when you mentioned MozBackUp,.. I used it earlier this year when I transferred everything from an old PC to my newer one. I still have the MozBackUp file so I;ll also have a look at it.
Cheers

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
G'day Mister2,.. still playing around with it. I found my old MozBackUp file but haven't yet figured out just exactly what to do with it. I've been out all day so therefore no time to sit down and work it out. Tomorrow also is going to be quite busy so maybe sometime tomorrow night I'll get a chance to do it.

Cheers

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sounds good.

I think you may have to export from Thunderbird to .csv format. My spare system is down so I can't check, but I don't think OE will import the .pcv files MozBackup produces.

It may be wise to do a backup of your Thunderbird setup now, restore your old MozBackup file, produce the .csv file and then run MozBackup to restore your 'proper' (latest) settings.

Let me know how it goes :smile:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good news Mister2,.. I don't know the exact details of how it happened, but my Thunderbird address book has now been exported to my Outlook Express address book. my neighbour dropped by to see how I was going with it and he successfully carried out the procedure after following your instructions.
I now consider this problem solved,.. thanks for your suggestions.
Regards, terrawarra

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.