Tech Support banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have a physical copy of Empires: Dawn of the Modern World
i can't get it to work on windows 10. i managed to somehow FORCE IT to install, after much digital convincing. no i do not remember how i managed it. buuuuut i can't get the game to start. can't uninstall it either. deleted the files like a dumbass. ANYWAY, did a reformat recently for other reasons. so i'd like to try again. from my own experience, virtual machines aren't good at playing games. what should I do? how can i force strongly suggest this game to work?

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
27,212 Posts
The game is compatible with Windows 10. Your GTX 980 card should be sufficient to play along with the latest Direct X.

·
27,212 Posts
If I'm reading correctly, you've now reinstalled the game cleanly. Saying you couldn't uninstall it was confusing. Anyway, if you're ready to play, go here: gog and fill in the game name. your copy is legal I'm presuming.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
didn't get the game from gog though. just using that as a link to show what game i'm talking about. i have a physical copy that i got like 10 years ago. I have yet to attempt a reinstall for fear that it it will get stuck on my comptuer again...
edit: i seem to have misplaced my disc so this point is now moot i guess.

·
27,212 Posts
There might be patches available to make it compatible with Windows 10. Your version wouldn't have these. Otherwise you might have to try compatibility mode. With what sounds like a partial install and the disc gone, prospects don't look good.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update: the gog version seems to work. so i'm guessing it has something to do with patches like you said.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
next problem. is there a way to get it to wide screen? does not have wide screen aspect ratios. which is weird. heck, AoE1 (the one released in teh 90's) had the ability to go wide screen yet this game released in 03 doesn't. sigh i assume there's some sort of fix for this possibly?

·
27,212 Posts
Gaming Monitor or 4G possible solutions.

·
27,212 Posts
I'm saying you need a Gaming Monitor or a 4G TV.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts