Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I work on a web application that has Excel and Word documents in it.

At the moment when a user opens these documents in IE9 they get presented with a dialog box asking:

What do you want to do with "filename"?

The user is presented with Open, Save and Save As as the options.

Unlike previous versions of IE there is no check box to tick to remember the user's choice so it comes up every time.

I really need to get rid to this box. Does anyone know how to disable it?

Thanks

Tom

·
TSF Emeritus
15,079 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Click Start => My Computer => Tools => Folder Options => Click on File Types tab => In the file types list => click Excel => click Advanced => UNcheck clear the Browse in same window check box (or click to clear the Open Web documents in place check box) => Click OK

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
Thanks for the response, unfortunately, I forgot to mention I'm on Windows 7 which does not have the file types option.

However, I have managed to find a workaround for the problem:

Basically, despite the fact that IE 9 doesn't have the check box previous versions of IE have that enables you to save your decission of what to do with a file of a particular type it doesn't mean it doesn't check the registry to see if an old choice (from a previous browser) isn't stored there. So the fix is to replicate the storage of a previous version of IE into the registry of the machine on which IE 9 is running. In my case it went as follows:

If it's not there already create the following key path in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\AttachmentExecute\{0002DF01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}

Inside the InternetExplorer.Application GUID key create a list of binary values using the COM name of the document opening application as a title.
In my case (Office 2003):

Excel.Sheet.8
PowerPoint.Show.8
Word.Document.8

If the values are 0000 the the application will open without asking the user.

·
TSF Emeritus
15,079 Posts
Thanks for sharing that info.

Sorry I saw in your User profile that you used XP, and thought it would have been for the same system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.