Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to record on a cassette tape whatever would come out of my speakers. My sound card is onboard and on has 3 holes (one for the speaker, one for a microphone and the other is for I don't know what)

So, what would I need to do to get audio from my computer to a cassette tape?

·
Registered
336 Posts
if you aren't too concerned about quality to could also plug it into the headphone jack of your speakers.

You are looking for a line out signal to record to the cassette. If you wanted to record a cassette to your computer you would plug it into the line in of your soundcard.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Get a stereo cable with 3.5mm mini-jacks at both ends, and connect the headphone socket of the tape player to the microphone in of your sound card and hit play and start recording, i suggest using musicmatch jukebox as its free and you can record to mp3

·
Registered
45 Posts
First, does your cassette recording have a 'line-in'? you need to plug from the line out on your soundcard to the line-in on your cassette recorder. It's best to use line in instead of mic because the line in is 'line level' at 0db. While the mic jack volume levels are somewhat inconsistant. The quality through soundcard mic jacks are usually horrid anyways.

If I where you I would just spend $50 and buy a cd burner for your computer.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
It's best to use line in instead of mic because the line in is 'line level' at 0db. While the mic jack volume levels are somewhat inconsistant. The quality through soundcard mic jacks are usually horrid anyways.
I agree. Good thing about that is that he isn't looking to record from tape to the computer but the other way around

·
Registered
45 Posts
Oops.. I was thinking the other way around.. Actually now that I re-read my post I had it right at first but then made the comment about not using the mic jack and totally screwed myself up. hehe
I was confused. :D

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
i have a cable that has a stereo 1/8" headphone style plug on one end, and a dual RCA plug on the other end.

i can use this to go from tape to pc, cd to tape, pc to tape, and cd to pc.

i use the line in on the sound card to record to the pc, and i use the speaker out to record from pc.

as far as the difference in line power, i just turn my pc's volume down to a resonable level.

works fine for me.

and i have found that when recording from tape to pc, if you use a really new tape, you will end up with mp3's that are as good or better than most on the internet.

~BoB~

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.