Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here's my story.

I have an old XP Pro laptop. There was one user name and password required to log on to the thing. I assume I always had admin privs with this logon, as I never had any troubles.

One day, my bro in law says "want me to make it so you don't have to use a password to log on"? I dumbly said "sure". So he messes around it with it for a bit, but cannot do it and gives up.

Later, I realized something had changed when I simply double clicked the time display at the bottom right to see the calendar, and it told me I would need Admin Privs to do this. I then discovered that I cannot install anything (I simply tried to install a new version of Acrobat) with my account.

So, I need to gain back Admin Privileges somehow. I did some research, and have seen all sorts of "password recovery" methods that usually involve a bootable floppy, but 1. the laptop has no floppy drive and 2. my user name and password are still exactly the same as before. So I did not lose any passwords; my user account somehow just lost its admin privs.

Oh and I cannot view user account settings without being the admin for the computer.

So that's my story. Does anybody have any advice for me? Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, there's at least the one account that I always have logged in with. User name and password is the same as before with this account. I cannot get in to view "user account" info without having admin privs.........

As far as I know, there has never been another account set up on this laptop.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I just talked to him.

He says he went into accounts and deleted the one account that was there. This account had admin privs obviously. So he deleted it, but the laptop still requires me to give this old account's user name and password before I can use the laptop. The difference is that the account no longer gives me admin privs.

The OS is XP Professional, if that helps.

I'm a little mad that before, he said he changed nothing, and now he says that he deleted that account. Arrgghhh.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Try going into safe mode (rapidly tap F8)(not sure this will work, as I have never tried it), a admin account should be there, log into that, and see if there is a control panel. If there is, try going into the user accounts as normal, and create a new account, will admin privs.. Reboot into normal mode, and test it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Do you use the Welcome screen to log on? (the one that shows a user picture) or do you use the classic logon screen that requires you to type username and password?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
It's the classic screen, with the user name and password.

I tried going into safe mode, but it asked for my user name and password (the only two fields shown) and I tried putting in my regular user name and password (the ones that DO let me into "normal" XP Pro, but with no admin privs) and it would not let me into safe mode at all.

So I'm still stuck. I can use XP Pro, but have no admin privs, so I can't install stuff or do anything with user accounts. Frustrating.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Login as the user named Administrator with no password. On XP Pro, you don't need to be in safe mode to login as the user named Administrator.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Umm, I think I know a way to log into the SYSTEM account from any normal XP account. But I'll share it only if someone says I'am allowed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.