Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i try to print somethings on my computer there is this message that says i have not enough memory on drive c.how do i clear this to have enough memory,especially when i download something in word format.and how do u debug

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Your messages are telling you that you do not have enough memory because you are using it all up :tongue:

Right click on My Computer, on the General tab near the bottom how much memory (RAM) does it say your system has?

·
1,438 Posts
I suspect you do not have enough free drive space to save the needed files to swap file.
Try doing a disk cleanup.
Go to start/ run and type cleanmgr and hit enter
let it clean things up.
Go to internet explorer/ tools/ internet options/ general / temp internet files
choose delete files/ delete all offline content.

·
Registered
91 Posts
As oshwyn says, it cud be as the page file size is insufficient, maybe u can increase it depending on the free HD space, (runa disk cleanup and then defragment for best results) or simply add more RAM as it isnt that expensive, esp if ur running on low RAM.
Heres a link for useful reading
http://aumha.org/win4/a/memmgmt.htm

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
1 - I wouldn't mess with the pagefile in any 9x system - it's flaky enough as it is

2 - Open My Computer and right-click on your C drive and select properties. How much space is free?

3 - #2 probably isn't a large number, so you'll need to back up items like videos and pics to CD, then delete them to free up space. Don't just delete items randomly!

4 - Maybe it's time to look at upgrading to a larger drive, or adding a second drive to store your data on.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
When the computer runs out of RAM it uses space on the hard drive to temporary store data. This is virtual memory. Accessing files on the hard drive is much slower than accessing files in RAM, but using virtual memory can prevent the computer from running out of temporary storage space and experiencing out-of-memory errors.
The space on the hard drive used for vitual memory is called a swap file. In 9x, the swap file is called the WIN386.SWP. The Windows 2000 swap files is called PAGEFILE.SYS. When ever the cpu requests data that is not in RAM a page fault occurs.
So why wouldnt upgrading the memory in the system help prevent this error bagamu is receiving?

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
The error message is referencing space available on Drive C. The pagefile adjusts to fit the space available - adding RAM will not affect this. His drive is critically low, as a simple print job cannot spool to the hard drive.

Clean up the drive, free some space, and the problem is solved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.