Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I have an ADSL router modem at home, with 4 ports for 4 computers and a port to plug the phone line into, which its self goes into a splitter at the phone socket.

I started off only using 2 of the 4 ports but over the last 9 months I have expanded my network to take up all 4 ports so that all 4 computers can share my broadband ADSL connection and files/printers.

About a week ago, my network connection dropped and two of my computers said that a network cable was unplugged. After several hours and much messing about with Windows I finally discovered that 2 of the 4 ports on my ADSL router modem had stopped working. I don't know why, but port 2 and 4 no longer work and I can only get ports 1 and 3 to work.

I don't really want to spend a lot of money getting a new ADSL router modem, so I thought a cheaper option would be to purchase a 5 port hub and plug it into one of the remaining working ports on the ADSL router modem. I think this will work, but I am not sure as I don’t have much networking experience.

I guess then that I have two questions.

1. I want to share my ADSL Internet connection and files/printers. Will plugging a hub into a working port on my existing ADSL router modem allow this?

2. If it will allow this, how do I connect a hub to my ADSL router modem. Do I plug a RJ45 cable into the ADSL router modem, to the hub and connect my computers to the hub? If so, do I use a "straight through" or "twisted pair" RJ45 cable from the ADSL Router modem to the hub? Can I use my existing "straight through" RJ45 cables from my computers to the hub, or will I need "twisted pair" for use with the hub?

Please see below for a rough drawing of my proposal:

Thanks a lot for your help!

Highly-Annoyed

· Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,615 Posts
You can use a hub or a switch, I normally pick the switch. I'd connect all the machines to a switch and link it to the router.

The selection of the cable will depend on the router and the switch/hub. Most switches or hubs either have an uplink port, or are auto-sensing and will automatically sense the correct polarity of the connection. In this case, the standard straight cable will do the trick.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
johnwill said:
You can use a hub or a switch, I normally pick the switch. I'd connect all the machines to a switch and link it to the router.

The selection of the cable will depend on the router and the switch/hub. Most switches or hubs either have an uplink port, or are auto-sensing and will automatically sense the correct polarity of the connection. In this case, the standard straight cable will do the trick.
johnwill,

Thanks a lot for your help! I appreciate it.

Highly-Annoyed

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.