Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have got two External HDs (HD_A and HD_B), I want to copy my work from HD_A to HD_B.(i.e if I have got 40 folders and 60 files on HD_A, I should be able to see 40 folders and 60 files on HD_B. I should be able to access (open , delete, modify) folders and files on HD_A as well HD_B).

Backup gives me one folder containing every thing. If I used backup, I will not able to access any file or folder on HD_B (which is I do not want this). I am looking access folders and files on HD_A as well on HD_B.

One week later I added another 10 folders and 13 files to HD_A.

How can I add these new folders and files to HD_B as well? (it is obvious I can added them manually, but it is not always easy to remember which folders or files are news ).

Therefore I am looking for a program to do that (not manually) for me, comparing between two HDs (my case HD_A and HD_B) and add the new folders and files to the one that it does not have (my case HD_B) them (only new folders and files)?

Note: Differential Backup is not the one I am looking for.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

There is a prgram called XXclone (www.xxclone.com) you can sign up for a free test drive for 30 days ~~ renewable after that too

its kindergarten easy / all windows GUI interface / NO DOS and no tutorials !!

just open the program / there are only two windows for you to interact with / the main window has you select the Source drive (the one you want to back-up) and then select the Target drive (the one you want to copy to) if you want the cloned or copied drive to be bootable then you must click on the Advanced button in the main console at the lower left side of the main console and put a check mark into the three bootable options boxes (write.ini boot MBR and some other Boot ??)

thats it / click on start and thats all there is / the only thing you must be careful of is it does make an exact copy of your hard drive and sometimes it can be confusing which drive you are in ????? now thats a "copy" !!!

after you have tried it / let us know how you like it ????

regards

joe

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
If you do a copy of HD-A to Hd-B it will ask you if you wnat to over write the existing files . If you answer no it will only copy the files thatare differant.
If you answer yes it will replace all the files with aduplicate of whats on HD-A
What you are looking for is a raid array that is in an external box. Or NAS Raid and that's without drives.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
I have to disagree. RAID of any level is not backup. Any software glitch, virus, or simply a slip of the fingers, will take out the data no matter what level of redundancy you have in the array. This is one of the great myths of RAID, and it's a lesson that some people learn the hard way.

RAID offers better performance and/or greater availability of the disk subsystem, depending on the specific RAID configuration. RAID does NOT offer backup.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
johnwill said:
I have to disagree. RAID of any level is not backup. Any software glitch, virus, or simply a slip of the fingers, will take out the data no matter what level of redundancy you have in the array. This is one of the great myths of RAID, and it's a lesson that some people learn the hard way.

RAID offers better performance and/or greater availability of the disk subsystem, depending on the specific RAID configuration. RAID does NOT offer backup.
AGREED
Most people do not seem to understand this. :4-dontkno Servers use them in banks 2 or more drives if one fails hot swap it, rebuild and never miss a lick. :sayyes:
The only thing raid protects you from is drive failure. Then only if it is mirrored.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.