Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to clone my hd on my laptop to a larger harddrive. It is a toshiba a75 with 80 gb to use a 160 gb. my 80 gb hd started making noise and I got a blue screen. I bought the hd and some cloning software but it does not work. I have an external hd kit to make the 160 gb readable by the use of a usb cord. I plane to take the 80gb out and run the 160gb. the clone software was clonezzlla and acronis true Image home 2009. When I run the Acronis it says that every scetor is bad in the new drive and when I say ignor all it takes a long time to finish and then it say thast drive two is a invalid format. I ran chkdsk on my laptop to see if there was any thing was wrong and there is not. the clonevilla say to boot with cd disk they sent and my computer does not boot to it when I restart it. so do you have software that will help me clone my hd and then allow it to be used instead of the old one.

·
TSF Enthusiast
1,153 Posts
Hi!

I use Acronis, just not the home edition, but I have ran across a few instances where you have to actually FORMAT the drive before you can do the imaging. Have you formatted the 160GB drive and tried to do the image.

Also, could you please elaborate a little more on [BOLD]HOW[/BOLD] you are attempting to create the image?

Acronis should work fine for what you are attempting to accomplish! Great product with lots of abilities!

Also, what is the make and model of the HDD that you purchased?

Thanks!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
according to the instucktion I go to the program and go to unility and pick clone but when say it can not complette because the disk 2 has a invalid format. and every sector it see on the hd it say it is bad and i have to pick ignore all for the program to work. the hd is a hitachi 160 gb which is the same as what is in the laptop now. what i have in my toshiba is a hitachi 80gb hd. so how do you format a exteral hd. i hope this is the info you wanted if not tell me what more you want. thank you

·
TSF Enthusiast
1,153 Posts
Hi and sorry for the delayed response! I'm not sure why I didn't get a notification!

Okay, using the CLONE feature in Acronis is not the recommended way. You need to create a new image of your drive, either to a network shared drive or an external hard disk drive. You could attach a second drive, one that you are not going to use for the actual OS drive when you are done. At any rate, the drive you are copying the image to must be partitioned and formatted! The same goes for the drive you are moving the image back too! You can try without partitioning the drive you are going to use the OS on, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I usually just format the OS drive "to be" so I won't have to break up the operation and do it.

You can either create the image via BOOT CD or you can do it with ACRONIS installed on the OS drive and use the BACKUP feature from within Windows - I prefer the boot CD for a clean operation. Both seem to work fine though.

You format an external drive as you would any drive.

1. Log into the OS
  2. Attach the external drive
  3. Right click on MY COMPUTER
  4. MANAGE
  5. DISK MANAGEMENT
  6. (If the drive is unpartitioned, you will be prompted to initialize it)
  7. Then create a BASIC DISK
  8. Assign the drive letter
  9. Then FORMAT the drive
Thanks!

·
TSF Enthusiast
1,153 Posts
Also, you may want to refer to the documentation on your Acronis. I know, I don't like to read either, but sometimes I have to read ( I do hate it too ).

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/docs/#userguides

I don't really use the HOME versions, so it might be wise to read up a little since it may vary a little from the "enterprise and workstation" versions that I use.

Thanks!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
when i go into disk manager it shows the disk as unallocted but it is initialize as a basic but not formated so how do i format from there if it does not ask. i would like to write a cd or dvd but i do not know how. i do not have a burner program so do you know of a free one i can down load.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my old drive is working now so it boots up and seems to be running ok so i am want to clone it before it does die. i will use any clone software as long as it works.

·
TSF Enthusiast
1,153 Posts
when i go into disk manager it shows the disk as unallocted but it is initialize as a basic but not formated so how do i format from there if it does not ask. i would like to write a cd or dvd but i do not know how. i do not have a burner program so do you know of a free one i can down load.
Thanks for the update!

Do you want to burn just simple files to the CD/DVD or do you want to produce an image to CD/DVD? If you want to do the image, ACRONIS will do that automatically. HOwever, I would not recommend imaging to a CD/DVD.

Have a look here, it used to be the CDFREAKS website, but they seem to have changed their name.

http://club.myce.com/f59/

You should be able to find a decent free CD/DVD burner software with their recommendations!

Thanks!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
how do i format the externalhard from disk manger when it does not prompt me to do that task. i want make the harddrive that is an 80bg cloone to the 160 hard drive i bought to do that very thing. i have already back up my info on other external hd so i want to clone this one.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it list the hd in the area where it list disk0 disk 1 below but it does not show up in the list above and I think that is where you call the grafic area. my other exrernal hd do so explane that. please

·
TSF Enthusiast
1,153 Posts
Just to the right of where it says DISK1 or DISK0 - whichever one is your external drive that you want to format (most likely DISK1), right click in the WHITE area of the external drive and select FORMAT.

When you right click in that WHITE area, it should give you the options to ... Open, Explore, Change Drive Letter and Paths..., Format.., Delete logical drive, properties.. help

Thanks!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
when i right click on the white area beside the disk that is unallocated and the line area is black not blue like the c disk which is the main hd of my computer. when i right click on that white area new patition, properity, help not as you said in the listing above Open, Explore, Change Drive Letter and Paths..., Format.., Delete logical drive, properties.. help. so it does not list format only new partition, properties, help. when i click on new partition it takes me to a welcome to the new partition wizard when i click on next it ask to select partition type primary or extended. i sure hopes this helps thank you for your time and effort

·
TSF Enthusiast
1,153 Posts
Okay, great.... then you need to create a new partition on the drive first; it's a bare drive.
After you create the new BASIC partition, you will be able to format it by right clicking in the white area beside the drive!

Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.