Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We don't have any official dealers here for none of the brands.
Obviously for crucial mx500(2.5'' sata), I didn't even find any reputable online dealers. So, I'm buying this from an online shop(He doesn't even have an offline store lol and no google reviews). Can I share shop name here?
But the price he's giving is decent, it's not very cheap, neither it's very expensive, it's what it should be.
Other shops are asking 12500NPR for 500GB MX500 SSD. Whereas, he is giving 1TB for 13000 NPR.
How do I test if the SSD has been used earlier or not? I'm on Ubuntu.How many hours of usage is normal in SSDs?

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,814 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
If the drive on your Windows laptop is in good condition, you may begin using it. To do so, launch the Command Prompt and issue two commands: "wmic" and then "diskdrive obtain status." Your system's hard drive should display "OK" as its status if everything is in order.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
11,316 Posts
If the drive on your Windows laptop is in good condition, you may begin using it. To do so, launch the Command Prompt and issue two commands: "wmic" and then "diskdrive obtain status." Your system's hard drive should display "OK" as its status if everything is in order.
If that doesn't work, try changing that "obtain" above to the string "get", like this:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>wmic
wmic:root\cli>diskdrive get status
Status​
OK​
OK​
OK​
OK​
OK​
OK​
OK​
OK​
OK​
wmic:root\cli>​

You then type exit (and press [Enter]) twice to exit wmic and then the cmd prompt.

--

You can use CrystalDiskInfo to get both the Power on Count and Power on Hours:

Rectangle Font Screenshot Software Parallel

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,312 Posts
I recently pulled a hard disk out of my NAS box, it had been in service for 12 years. It had over 100,000 running hours on it, I'm sure most of that time it was not spinning, but it was powered up. When one of the RAID array drives died, I replaced it with a $50 WD 2TB drive. Then I figured after seeing the date on the second one that I should spend another $50 and have two new drives. Maybe I'll get another 12 years out of the new drives. :D

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
11,316 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Crystal Disk Info CrystalDiskInfo - Crystal Dew World [en]Crystal Dew World will also give you Power On hours.
You can always buy a drive online from AliBaba, Ebay or other online retailers that will ship to your country. You don't have to buy it from a brick and mortar store in your area.
problems with that:
1) returning will be expensive too much.
2) delivery charge itself could be hefty.
But idea is great. Crucial shis to Nepal for 18$ and crucial cost 94.99, but if I've to return it's absolute hassle. The return shipping would easily cost near about 100$. LOL.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If that doesn't work, try changing that "obtain" above to the string "get", like this:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>wmic
wmic:root\cli>diskdrive get status
Status​
OK​
OK​
OK​
OK​
OK​
OK​
OK​
OK​
OK​
wmic:root\cli>​

You then type exit (and press [Enter]) twice to exit wmic and then the cmd prompt.

--

You can use CrystalDiskInfo to get both the Power on Count and Power on Hours:

View attachment 334322

it looks like hard drive power on hrs could be changed. holy hell man.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Code:
C:\Users\INSPIRON>wmic
wmic:root\cli>diskdrive obtain status
Node - DESKTOP-RN7H43Q
ERROR:
Description = Invalid query
Looks like my hard drive failed.

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,814 Posts
go to Search and type CMD, right click the results and Run As Administrator.
The Prompt should now look like this C:\Windows\System32> not C:\Users\INSPIRON
Now type the command wmic and press Enter. At the wmicroot\cli> prompt type
diskdrive get status and press Enter.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,312 Posts
problems with that:
1) returning will be expensive too much.
2) delivery charge itself could be hefty.
But idea is great. Crucial shis to Nepal for 18$ and crucial cost 94.99, but if I've to return it's absolute hassle. The return shipping would easily cost near about 100$. LOL.
Since returning it is really not an option, I suggest you stop worrying about it was used and just install and use it! I fail to see what you can accomplish worrying about the issue.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,312 Posts
go to Search and type CMD, right click the results and Run As Administrator.
The Prompt should now look like this C:\Windows\System32> not C:\Users\INSPIRON
Now type the command wmic and press Enter. At the wmicroot\cli> prompt type
diskdrive get status and press Enter.
That's really not that informative.

Blue Azure Sky Font Electric blue

1 - 14 of 14 Posts