Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I let someone with very little computer knowledge (he had to drive 1 hour back & forth 5 times to open and save an email attachment each time he had to do that).

Anyway since the last time he came when he was on the computer I noticed a Firefox window opened in a tiny 1x2 inch window in my top left corner of the screen and I had never in years seen that.

Ever since that day my Firefox windows often open in a tiny 1x2 inch window where you barely see half the toolbar and nothing else.

It's getting really annoying and that time he came was just after my last backup disk got full so I had to erase my entire backup disk to start a new one, so I had no recent backup to restore to restore to after he did this.

How do I get my Firefox window to open a normal size again, and I don't mean just maximized, I want the restored window size to no longer be 1x2 inches.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
1,835 Posts
I've been seeing this on a few systems since FF 4.0 came out. I haven't been able to figure out exactly what's causing it, but I would look at your extensions. Which ones do you have installed? Also, are you using Avast? I am suspecting their Web Rep extension may be part of the problem.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Exiting with the proper size doesn't work as this happened maybe a month ago and I've opened and closed FF many times since.

I'm sure that caused it is he probably went on a website that tried to popup a small invisible/small popup. He was using Hotmail, I've never used that so maybe it's Hotmail that makes these popups.

I'm not using avast. I haven't added any extensions recently either.

Anyway I think he gave up on opening file attachments as he got sick of driving one hour each time he wanted me to open an attachment for him. While I couldn't believe that he didn't know how to open an attachment, he kept on saying "You're really good, I've asked everyone around me and no one knows how to do this, most people have no idea how to do this".

Uh... I had never seen anyone not able to open an attachment before.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
1,835 Posts
I'm not thinking about recently added extensions. It could easily be one that you've had for years that broke either from a FF update or an extension update or both. What extensions do you have installed? I have found a few that are likely suspects...

Another thought I've had while trying to figure this out was that it had something to do with JavaScript. In Tools>Options>Content, next to the Javascript entry, click on Advanced. Uncheck the box next to the resizing option. That has worked in a couple of cases.

This is a rather annoying problem.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I only have the new tab homepage and grease monkey extensions.

I prefer not to disable the javascript resize, I'm never going to go to whatever site he went to that had that javascript. It's either a javascript that resized the window, or he did it but I don't see the logic of resizing a window to 1x2 inches, but then again he doesn't know how to open an email attachment so maybe that's his way to minimize a program.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
1,835 Posts
Try Firefox Safe Mode and see if it changes. It does for me with most of the machines I've seen it on, which does mean it's an addon of some sort causing it.

Sorry for being a bit on the vague side with this. It is an odd problem that I haven't fully solved yet.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It isn't an addon, it's simply remembering it's old startup size, I'm quite sure this is a Windows problem, not a Firefox issue. Any program closed in a different shape will re open in that shape often even if you reclose it in a different shape. I remember this affecting other programs that get improperly resized.

Does anyone know where Windows stores each program's last size in the registry? It's probably easiest to just change the numbers in the registry.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
1,835 Posts
Sorry, I forgot to give you the Safe Mode link. Here it is: Safe Mode - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

Are any other programs doing it or just Firefox? If just FF, I don't think it's an OS issue. For me, I've seen it on XP, Vista and Win 7, on old installs and fresh out of the box new machines that I've setup for customers. Sometimes, as well as being small, it goes off screen in the upper left. As I've said, very odd.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.