Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how can i change the agp rate ?! My motherboard (sis M810LR)doesn't have any option in the bios to change the agp rate (not even by flashing the bios or using programs to find hidden bios options), and the only two programs that i could find on the net to change the agp rate i have problems. For example, riva tuner only can change the agp rate in windows 2000/xp and i am using windows millenium edition. I also have Powerstrip, and it can change the agp rate to 1x, but everytime windows isn't shutdown correctly or when i use suspension, the agp rate always goes back to the drivers default : 2x, and i have to change the agp rate back to 1x several times a day. But i am using a geforce 4 mx 440 card and my board doesn't work too well with any geforce card at agp 2x, it's very unstable, so that's why i have to use agp 1x. So there is any other way to change the agp rate or any other programs ? This, in windows milenium edition or in 98 (this problem i have happens in all windows operating systems not only in milenium edition), please anyone help me i am tired of changing the agp rate all the time with that buggy program Powerstrip

·
Registered
165 Posts
If your MB is only stable at AGP 1x why do you put an AGP 2x on it?
To me this seems to be a compatibility issue that you should not try to solve via software.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i don't think you understood. The motherboard IS stable when i am using the geforce 4 mx440 at 1x and it never becomes unstable with that agp setting. And it's much more faster than any other cards (which aren't geforce) when they ran in 2x.

When you say "why do you put an AGP 2x on it" you mean why do i use a geforce mx4 card which even supports 4x if my motherboard only supports it at 1x without crashing? Because any other videocards lower than a geforce are slow. And i can't find any other videocards as good as a geforce, in my city they just sell geforce cards (i live in a small city).

Besides, if the geforce 4 mx440 works perfectly at 1x and fast, why would i use a lower videocard ? The only problem is that i can't make the agp rate stays at 1x when windows is suspended or is shutdown incorrectly, so i have to continue using powerstrip meanwhile. If if powerstrip is able to change the agp rate, then i don't think that i should quit trying to change that setting with software.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Grab the nVidia Coolbits, which will allow you to manually adjust the AGP rate it uses, and ensure it boots up with those settings. You can also overclock your card with this patch on, if you desire:
nVidia Downloads

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks mental_myopia, but i have found a better and quick solution ! Finally !!

Finally i discovered how to force the agp rate to PERMANTLY stay at 1x! (at least until i reinstall windows) !! It was very hard to find, but after several days of searches in google i found a site in which says that the solution, it's JUST to insert a new registry setting in windows !!! Just that is enough to force the agp rate to stay forever in 1x, until we change the registry setting again !! Not even windows suspension or incorrect shutdown changes it ! Very cool ! Finally i don't need Powerstrip anymore (which doesn't even could change permanently the agp rate at 1x, it just change it in real time). Altough this only works on nvidia cards, and using detonator drivers, but fortunately that is my case.

It's like this :

1) Open Regedit
2) Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global
3) If there is no 'System' key here, make one. Just right click on the Global key and choose New > Key. Type in the word System, and hit enter.
4) Now select the new System Key, and right click on it and choose New again
5) Now choose "DWORD Value" and type in ReqAGPRate.
6) Set the value for the new key to 1

"You will need to reboot for this change to take effect."

This is a extract of a webpage named 'GeForce Cards and VIA Chipsets: "Can't we all just get along?"'. So this is not just for VIA motherbords. It also works on pc chips sis M810LR like mine.

How come that no one here knew about this ? I sure am not the only person here that bought a PC Chips Sis M810LR motherboard (without knowing that it is unstable with geforce cards at 2x, it was supposed to even support 4x but because of stability they disable 4x and fast-writes in the factory, now i understand why this motherboard was the cheapest on sale, and also maybe i have been swindled). Anyways now if anyone that have a motherboard that is unstable with agp 2x, and has also problems in making the agp rate stays at 1x and have a nvidia geforce card just do that and it works, WITHOUT using powerstrip or rivatuner, and the instability dissapears forever. (unless the agp rate is set manually back to 2x)

Now this is perfect, much better than powerstrip, now that i tried powerstrip again, i noticed that powerstrip doesn't even changed this setting ever, because it just change the agp rate at real time, so everytime windows was suspended or shutdown incorrectly it would come back to the driver's default, with that setting it's that drivers default that is changed !!! Wondeful!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.