Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have asked about limiting access to my computer. I appreciate the replies. People have mentioned a boot password. Something about in the BIOS. I have looked but I don't seem to be able to find the right place to put it. Please help with more detail. I am running Win98 on an older computer. Intel Pentium 200Mhz. But shouldn't Win98 be Win98? Thank you for any help that you can give me. Ken

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Okay... a BIOS is basically RAM built onto your motherboard that stores settings... the little battery that is built on keeps those settings from going away. when you first start up your computer after it beeps you see that black screen with all the words telling you what kind of computer you have before you actually get to windows. To set up a boot password in you BIOS, depending on what type you have, you generally press the delete key when you see the black wordy screen. From there you will have some sort of interface... this is your BIOS. The mouse isn't enabled yet, so basically you are navigating with keyboard arrows, the enterkey, and the escape key. You should have the option of setting up a password in there, once you do MAKE SURE you remember it, because it is a pain to fix without opening up the comp. After you are finished the computer wil restart, and you'll be in POST until windows boots up.... with any luck you'll be asked for a password. Good luck I hope this helps.

( the time before windows/any OS boots up is called POST, if someone would like to fill in what it stands for, I am drawing a blank)

·
Registered
852 Posts
Your bios

The BIOS (an acronym for "basic input output system") is that boring screen that comes up when you first start your computer before you see the colorful "Windows 98" screen. During that screen you should see "Press f1" or "press DEL" for setup. (there are exceptions I have seen in Compaqs and Gateways) You will find the password option in there. BE CAREFUL!!! If you are not familiar with bios settings you can totally screw your computer up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.