Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The windows defrag wont work. It says my drive is very heavily defragged, so when I try to make it run it goes to 12% and gets stuck there. It stayed at 12% for over 8 hours (overnight).

And yes, I have all aps that I can think of turned off when I run it and it still gets stuck at 12%. Whats the deal?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, it won't work in Safe Mode. If I boot into safe and try to defrag it doesnt work at all. Also, I ran Scandisc on the drive b4 trying to defrag.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
something -screen saver, application is trying to access the HD while its defraging...stop EVERYTHING but explorer and try it again...yes I mean you Anti virus as well....and let it go I defrag my XP machine while I am using it...and it eventually gets to the end...XP defrag runs alot better then 98's If that odesnt float you boat there are third party defrag programs that work better that widows own version...other might have some suggestions

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
It's a good idea to defrag your hard drive on a regular basis. You can set defrag to run from the command prompt in XP.

Defrag away

Make sure you have administrator access
Go to Start > Run
Type "cmd" without the quotes.
At the prompt, type "defrag" followed by the volume letter (c:), then one of these switches:

-a to analyze your volume
-f to force the defrag even if your free space is low
-v to get a verbose output
-b to optimize your boot files to speed up your boot process

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.