Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Macintosh Methodology Wizard - TSF Retired
13,608 Posts
as stable as windows can be, and no, its not *nix. i ran the beta2 and rc1 without any issues, only it was slow on my hardware. if you already have xp, i see no need to goto vista for now, imho.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
most problems are caused by the operator not the operating system
in vista they have gone a long way to even overcoming this
there is an old saying
a bad workman always blames his tools

·
Team Manager , Articles Team
11,900 Posts
there is an old saying
I heartily agree with dai in that I have trialled 4 different versions of Vista™, and found all bar the first one to be excellent...to the extent that I personally think that Microsoft® is on a winner.
Besides Microsoft® have invested alot of $$ and manpower to develop Vista™ to the stage that it's at now, and it will be a force to be reckoned with.
It's the competitors [if there are any] that will have to 'sharpen their pencils' and lift their collective games to come anywhere near Vista™.
If you are having installation issues, I suggest that you search the Vista™ website for extra tips and thoroughly read the information.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
there is an old saying
It's not XP that freezes or anything, it's programs like firefox...

What can I do to prevent this?

How about when a computer starts to run slow? Should I format or are there things I can do to avoid this?

·
13,608 Posts
i mean having anti virus and spyware software installed, and run on at least a weekly basis. use ff or netscape 8 instead of ie. clear the caches of the web browser. avoid sites that are more likely to infect your computer. don't download/install tons of stuff or software. keep your files organized. get rid of files and apps that you don't need/used anymore. reboot the computer every once in a while if you leave it on all the time. things of that nature.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i mean having anti virus and spyware software installed, and run on at least a weekly basis. use ff or netscape 8 instead of ie. clear the caches of the web browser. avoid sites that are more likely to infect your computer. don't download/install tons of stuff or software. keep your files organized. get rid of files and apps that you don't need/used anymore. reboot the computer every once in a while if you leave it on all the time. things of that nature.
Ok sounds good... time to clean up all those files that are laying around in my desktop hehe.. I'm so disorganized in that sense...

Getting an external drive to have music, videos, docs, etc helps too, doesnt it?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well vista starts slow than xp but shutsdown faster than xp and in my opionion mac os sucks. I can't count how many time I was at achool on one of their macs and it would just completly stall and be inresponsive.

·
13,608 Posts
Well vista starts slow than xp but shutsdown faster than xp and in my opionion mac os sucks. I can't count how many time I was at achool on one of their macs and it would just completly stall and be inresponsive.
and what version of the mac os where they running, and on what hardware? imacs with os 8.6 or 9.1 where really bad, and thats what most schools had.

·
Registered
183 Posts
and what version of the mac os where they running, and on what hardware? imacs with os 8.6 or 9.1 where really bad, and thats what most schools had.
Im gonna say 9.1 (It sounds the most familiar). They were the macs that were clear blue or different colors that looked like a TV and it has the harddrive and everything built into it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.