Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
May I please have some advice on how to set up my home network?

1. My first requirement, is that I live with a large family, and they are all using wireless laptops (4 of them), going through the current Broadband router. They are all standalone laptops, and don't really need to share files at this stage - but it would be useful if they could. These laptops run XP and Vista

2. My second requirement, is that I am needing to set up my own SOHO network using Small Business Server 2008 with 3 other laptops. I do want these laptops to log onto the server and be managed by the server for network access. However, if the laptops didn't log onto the server domain, then they should be able to connect to the network as if it was a home laptop as in 1. above. The SOHO laptops need to be able save files to the server, and be able to share files between each other. These laptops are XP, Vista and W7.

3. I have 2 printers (one networked, and one which hangs off a USB port) that I would like available to all laptops - if this is possible.

4. The gear that I have:
1 broadband wireless router
a second broadband wireless router
a gigabit switch
Do I need any other gear? Ideally, can I make all the above happen without having to buy anything else?

I would be grateful for any advice you have. I only have limited networking knowledge (if you can call it that) which has been learnt by plugging things together and tinkering. I do not have a full appreciation of DHCP DNS etc etc, so any tips on those things would be helpful too.

I appreciate that this may be a BIG ask!

Thank you
Kevin

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,345 Posts
I gather that you want to keep the "family" wireless network separate from your "business" family network, right? If so, you may have to decide which printer goes where, since once you separate the networks, you may have to choose.

The simple way to do this with two wireless routers is to configure the primary wireless router (the one connected to the ISP) to be the "family" router. Connect the WAN port of the secondary "business" router to one of the LAN ports on the primary router. If you have any need to port forward for the "business" network, I'd configure the secondary router with a static WAN IP address and put it in the DMZ of the primary router. Also, you may have to configure the base address of the secondary router if it's the same as the primary router, they MUST be in different subnets.

As I mentioned, with this configuration, if you connect a printer, it'll be connected to one or the other network.

·
Registered
TSF Emeritus
20,461 Posts
Hello and welcome to TSF!

What server roles aside from DHCP and DNS are you planning to use in your SBS 2008? Terminal Server maybe for Remote Access? Do you need any instruction guides on how to setup these roles?
How about Apps, by default Exchange, WSUS, Sharepoint are automatically configured? You may benefit from these Apps also. Even though you are running a small network, these are things that you might want to consider. Just to let you know they will run better in wired network (to be considered in the future).

I hope that these helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys - you have given me enough clues in your answer to google what I need. I understand enough about what you say to put it into action.
I have fumbled my way through enough of the SBS roles to do what I need.

Cheers
Kevin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.