Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a house with 5 other people and don't know all of them that well. The one man who sets up the wireless network knows loads about computers and my question is would he be able to a) get my screen up on his computer from other parts of the house, b) see when i am typing in passwords or bank details and c) upload viruses from his computer onto mine. If any of these things are possible (which i do suspect they are) is there a way to protect my computer from this? I would be very grateful of any helpful replies. Thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
download sygate personel firewall if anyone trys anything it will inform u , also download this program it will tell u if anyone is on ur network,netbrute scaner security suite its free and u can downloaded at pc world.

·
Security Manager, Analyst , Rangemaster, TSF Acade
39,538 Posts
Hi

A good firewall is essential, so that's your start point. I would also suggest you try SnoopFree - it's a real time monitor that notifies you when a programme wants to record your keystrokes or read your screen. Those two will be a good start. I'll let you answer ArturoYee's questions and I'm sure he'll take it from there - networking's not something I know very much about.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Here are my thoughts -
1) You are always vulnerable when you are on a network where you do not control the router. So, if you are in a public library or internet cafe - you are at risk.
2) Are using a wireless without encryption? If you are, somebody may be able to capture your transmissions. This wil include users at airports, etc.

But it is not a simple matter - it takes "special" software to perform these nasty tasks - so just because your housemate is a computer whiz, it does not mean that he can do or want to do these things.

Here is some reading material:
Router Security:
Article

WiFi encryption:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Access

·
Registered
211 Posts
You're perfectly safe so-long as you're not running software which has security holes.

If you're running Windows, by default, there are no possible exploits in the kernel (Operating system).

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you're running Windows, by default, there are no possible exploits in the kernel (Operating system).
Please tell me you're not serious... Bill, is that you Bill?

(by the way the kernel is a part of the operating system)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Please tell me you're not serious... Bill, is that you Bill?

(by the way the kernel is a part of the operating system)
Close, I'm Bill's Australian love-child.

The kernel is the operating system. And I'm very serious.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Well if you use a router firewall and/or a personal firewall you should be OK. Even more securer is to turn off the net when not in use.

The best free firewall reviewed has been Comodo firewall.

There are ways that all that is possible -- but only through the use of hacker and malicious software. A good firewall will show you that and just keep an eye on your port activity.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.