Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Asus a8N-SLI Deluxe
Evga 7900GT
Amd A64 3500+2.2G 939
2x 512 RAM
250 GB Western Digital Hard Drive
DVD Burner Plextor
Creative X-Fi Extreme Sound Card
All wrapped up in a sweet black case, with blazing blue lights.
Not to mention like 5 fans.

SO how much could I sell this thing for?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Well, as a Best Buy employee, one advice to you, would be to go onto newegg.com, total up all those items, and see what you get. That price you get will be a little too high for resale, but instead chop it down to about 75% of that overall total. You are probobly looking at about maybe $5-6 hundred.

·
Tech Guy/Gentoo User
659 Posts
Thats some good advice. If you know how much it cost, Just take some of it away, depending on how generous you are feeling.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yeah. Except the video card and the aftermarket audio card, I have just about the same comp (see signature). I spent about $500 total on just the video card, motherboard, CPU, and a case. Already had the DVD/RW combo drive, hard drive and PSU. And that was in February when I bought it all and prices have dropped major since then. The same exact CPU I bought for $200 now goes for $100. It sucks how quickly technology drops in price but it's also good for the people who wait. Oh, well. Good luck with the sale.

·
Tech Guy/Gentoo User
659 Posts
Lol, I'm waiting. Annoying as my computer is, I'll wait until I can get a good CPU for $100 then I'm in.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Lol. Yeah. I saw on newegg.com a Athlon 64 X2 4600 for the same price as my Athlon 64 3500 from Feb. That sickens me, lol. If I would have waited a few more months I would be so much better off. grr. Oh well. I love my system (although it has some issues i'm trying to work out).

By the way, love your sig. Brian. I couldn't stop laughing.

·
Registered
505 Posts
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150144

This isn't the exact video card he listed. But is close and at only $240, it's the most expensive thing in his system. I have the CPU and it's down to $80, the motherboard is $140, the hard drive is roughly $90, the DVD burner is at the very least $80, the sound card $70 for the low end, ram about $100 (depending on the type and brand), and the case (depending on what brand and form factor) you're looking at around $100. So, overall you are looking at about $900. Knock the price down to 75% and you have $675, that is if the parts are used. If brand new than you can charge $1000 and get away with it (maybe).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ssshh! I know newegg is the cheapest. I bought all the parts for it there. Im just wondering if I could make a little profit. (and by the way the total cam to 1250$.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Ok. I was looking at the least total price possible. Wasn't looking at the highest quality stuff in newegg.com. If you are selling it used, I would suggest selling for less than you got it for. Specially if it's used. New, then do whatever you think is fair. That same computer might be going for $2000 from a dealer.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
(the PSU is a 500 watt)

Could you explain why a new computer is worth more than a used one? I dont get what the difference is. Is it because of whats on the HD? Cause I could supply a brand new one. (with Windows).Or is it something else? Because I'd like to sell this for $2000.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
(the PSU is a 500 watt)

Could you explain why a new computer is worth more than a used one? I dont get what the difference is. Is it because of whats on the HD? Cause I could supply a brand new one. (with Windows).Or is it something else? Because I'd like to sell this for $2000.
Hi,

In my opinion, linderman hit it on the head with the used car comparison. Computers are about the same way, drive them around the block (use them for a bit) and their value drops quickly. Another disadvantage is a 500 watt power supply since many computers in that price range have more powerful power supplies.

I would save your money on the hard drive. There is no way you are going to sell that rig for that type of money. To be quite honest (I hate to say this), some of the posters in this thread have been very generous on their estimates of the value of this used computer.

I would be very surprised if you get anywhere near what you have in that rig (and that is true of all used computers unless you find a sucker).

Don't misunderstand, I hope you do and wish you the best, but from selling new and used computers for the past few years, there is just not a market in that price range for anything used in a computer.

That is my opinion and I meant no ill will telling you like I think it is in this market.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Tumbleweed is soooooo accurate he doesnt dodge the tuff questions like I did

but seeing as how he has broke the trail :pray:

I would shoot for $800.00 but dont be shocked if the best offer is $600.00

computers are a very poor investment; investments rise in value; computers dont rise in value they drop in value daily!

thats why when you buy a high end video card for almost $500.00 six months later that same card can be bought for $300.00

the recent release of the new line of Intel CPU's made the market drop from a New in the Box P-4 3.2gig Prescott being 265.00 it dropped to new in the box 135.00 !!!!

goodluck I know this is not what you wanted to hear! :upset:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its definately not what I wanted to hear, but I'm glad I know. When I built this rig, I set out to make a gaming machine and to use it. So Im not really disappointed. Just wonding if I could start a business or something. Well thanks guys. You know what your talkin' about.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

You know, it is better to hear it here than to have expectations which would cause you to price it so high you can't sell it. Both linderman and I sell computers on a regular basis, so we kind of "know the market" if you know what I mean. Good luck on your sale.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'll be more than happy to take that video card off ya. lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.