Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you move/change the main TEMP directory from C drive to D drive which is a larger drive? C:\Documents and Settings\[profile name]\Local Settings\Temp

I am running out of space on C drive and Nero uses the TEMP directory to make DVDs and it is uses LOTS and LOTS of space which I don't have. I reinstalled Nero and did not see a question about where I would like Nero to work.

Can you even MOVE or CHANGE C:\Documents and Settings\[profile name]\Local Settings\Temp to another drive please?:4-dontkno

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Hi zmartha, the problem here is many of your programs may be set to use the default location for dumping temp files and may no longer work once you change the location. Depending on which version of Nero you're using, you should be able to change the temp folder to somewhere else in the settings.

If you can't find the setting, try backing up your system them boot into Safe Mode, create a temp folder on your preferred drive then edit the path variable. To do that, right click your My Computer icon and select Properties then the Advanced tab. Select the Environment Variable button and under the variable section, edit the location. Boot back into normal mode and monitor how things go.

Post back if you have any further questions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found the answer for Nero and a TEMP folder

I am glad you pointed that out to me that many of my other softwares may have trouble finding the default TEMP folder on C.

Nero support wrote me and told how to change the TEMP in Nero's Vision software.

"Open Nero Vision and click on "more". Then go further and click on "configuration", there you will have the tab "folder". There you can change the destination of the temp folder to a folder with enough space, at least 5GB."

I hope this helps others with same problem. :smile:

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
I apologize in advance for the thread Hijack.

the problem here is many of your programs may be set to use the default location for dumping temp files and may no longer work once you change the location.
You mean there are some programs that will want to use %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp independantly of the settings of the temp and tmp environment variables ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I apologize in advance for the thread Hijack.

You mean there are some programs that will want to use %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp independantly of the settings of the temp and tmp environment variables ?
I wondered about that too. Let's see what he says.:wave:

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Gee guys, is this put Nick on the spot day?? :grin:

Please note the "may" in the sentance....as in: they may do, they may not. Test and see.

·
Registered
26 Posts
How do you move/change the main TEMP directory from C drive to D drive which is a larger drive? C:\Documents and Settings\[profile name]\Local Settings\Temp

I am running out of space on C drive and Nero uses the TEMP directory to make DVDs and it is uses LOTS and LOTS of space which I don't have. I reinstalled Nero and did not see a question about where I would like Nero to work.

Can you even MOVE or CHANGE C:\Documents and Settings\[profile name]\Local Settings\Temp to another drive please?:4-dontkno
There is a way to change the location of this directory. You need to go to system properties. Right click on "my computer" and choose properties then choose the advanced tab and at the bottom of that page click the button "environment variables". In the windows that pops up, on the top part you'll see the section "User variables for _________". You can edit those to any folder you make up and windows will point programs to the new location. I've been doing this on my installs for years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.