Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read Microsoft's own "what it is" but it seemed so vague and I'm really confused about what it is!

Is it exactly like Google account? (i.e. Google account is needed to activate Android and use Playstore and any app free or paid is restored back in a new device from the account).
In that case, any app bought from Microsoft store should be restored back in a fresh install of Windows 10, no? Or do you have to pay again for already bought apps? :huh:

Also what is this Microsoft email sign in and local sign in process for Windows? That's where it gets even more confusing.

Please clear it to me. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
40,896 Posts
The Microsoft Account is very similar to a Google Account. Any apps you buy from the Microsoft Store app, or online, like Microsoft Office 365, you would sign in with your Microsoft Account. If you signed into a different Windows device with your Microsoft Account, those Apps would be available to sign into as well with no extra cost.

With a Local account which was used prior to Windows 8 but still usable in Windows 10, allows you to choose whatever username and password you like. Works whether the computer is online or not. Is more Private. You cannot use any apps from the Microsoft Store or Office 365.
Microsoft Account, must use Microsoft account /Email address and password as login. Works online. Syncs with Microsoft Store, Office 365 and other MS online programs and profiles. Allows you to log into any Windows device with same login and have access to all of your online Microsoft apps.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/microsoft-account-vs-local-account-on-windows-10/da6826f7-5e9b-48bf-8e0d-bf25456b4e0e

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Microsoft Account is very similar to a Google Account. Any apps you buy from the Microsoft Store app, or online, like Microsoft Office 365, you would sign in with your Microsoft Account. If you signed into a different Windows device with your Microsoft Account, those Apps would be available to sign into as well with no extra cost.

With a Local account which was used prior to Windows 8 but still usable in Windows 10, allows you to choose whatever username and password you like. Works whether the computer is online or not. Is more Private. You cannot use any apps from the Microsoft Store or Office 365.
Microsoft Account, must use Microsoft account /Email address and password as login. Works online. Syncs with Microsoft Store, Office 365 and other MS online programs and profiles. Allows you to log into any Windows device with same login and have access to all of your online Microsoft apps.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/microsoft-account-vs-local-account-on-windows-10/da6826f7-5e9b-48bf-8e0d-bf25456b4e0e
Hi, Thanks for the quick reply.
So do you mean once I choose to use Microsoft store, I must sign in to Windows 10 with Microsoft email and password?

·
Registered
40,896 Posts
You cannot use the Microsoft App store unless you sign in with a Microsoft Account.
You can login into your computer with a Local Account, and then login to the Store with a Microsoft Account to download any software from the store. It will nag you to log your computer into a Microsoft Account.
If Logged in with a Local Account, this software will not sync with any other Windows devices you may have, and you will have to login to the store and download it again to that device to use the same software.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.