Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's really not that difficult to fix your own hard drive. With a little common sense & the right tools who needs to pay someone else to do it ?

If the problem is a head crash, or the infamous "stiction" problem (where it just wont spin-up at boot), this should breath new life back into it.

You will require #4/0 steel wool, Varsol, WD-40, a few hand tools, and about 45 minutes of your time.

First, you need a clean room, so make sure the garage door is closed BEFORE you begin. Move those old lawnmower parts off the bench as well.

Disassemble the sealed unit with some appropriate screwdrivers and carefully wash all parts with Varsol. Bend the read/write heads out of the way and then disassemble the platter stack.

VERY CAREFULLY buff the platter surfaces with the #4/0 steel wool. This will remove any existing data, level out any surface defects, and help to redistribute the magnetic media and fill in those pesky "bad sectors" that appear after time.

Reassemble the platter stack, and using a .015" feeler gauge, bend the read/write head back to the platter surface, using the feeler gauge to set the gap. This is a slightly higher gap than the
factory uses, but it reduces the chance of head collisions with any
flotsam you neglected to remove.

Give the head and platters a good shot of WD-40 and reassemble the unit. If your drive has a filter, replace it with a clean section of gauze pad.

All that's left to do now, is to low level and DOS format the drive, and you're back in business.

JOB DONE.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I opened a defect drive once, just to have a look at the inside and to tell my kids NEVER to do that if you want to use that piece of hardware in a PC again....

S

·
0 Posts
I always open mine up and do this when they don't work anymore.............:looney:

I then look inside and say ayup it sure looks broke to me followed by a trip to the trash barrel......................:D

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Note that this character has one post, I wonder what point he's trying to make with this fish story? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
139 Posts
He's probably bored and was amusing himself.
I only know ONE business that's still even using Win3.1. Everyone else has moved on.:rolleyes:

This has to a a joke.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.