Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may sound like a noob but how much faster is cable then wireless. I have a linksys wireless usb adapter that I connected to my desktop computer. its pretty fast but it disconnects so much its driving me crazy so im thinking about switching to cable should or shouldn I :4-dontkno

·
Citizen of the world
51,139 Posts
Well, it depends on what characteristics your wireless has, and also the environment. Basically an Ethernet cable will give you a constant 100mbit connection with full-duplex capability. Obviously, if you have gigabit capability all around like I do here, it's ten times that fast. Under any circumstance I can imagine, it'll be a better and faster connection that wireless. Wireless has a raw bit speed of 11mbit (802.11b) or 54mbit (802.11g) However, the real throughput is rarely half of that, and encryption will also take a bite out of bandwidth. Also, WiFi is half-duplex, further sapping the speed. And last, but not least, those speeds are only for excellent connections, poor signal strength or other interference will quickly cut those speeds drastically.

FWIW, the only thing that runs wireless here is my laptop when I carry it around the house. All my machines, TiVo, MediaGate video server, print servers, etc. are wired. I'll take wired any day over wireless if it's an option.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3 questions :
1. How do you get gigabit all around internet
2. How much faster is cable than wireless. I heard the more people that use it in your area the slower it goes
3. and what is the lowest raw speed cable can be reduced to and what is the fastest. [I heard if like a ton of people are on it can reduce it to dial up speed, and if nobodys is using it it can go really really fast]

wireless sucks, Practically all my games require internet, battlefield, CFS3, and all the modding for all the other games. Wireless keeps disconnecting on my computer. I have a Linksys Wireless USb adapter[That is plugged into the desktop computer] and an actiontec router provided by Qwest] The router has a wireless gateway so my computer and my nintendo Wii can access it. but with the computer it is always disconnecting but the Wii is fine, and in the room where the computer and the Wii is, there is 3 electric plugs and 1 cable plugg no phone jack. so yeah Do you think I should switch to cable?:4-dontkno

·
Citizen of the world
51,139 Posts
Your questions are all of the map. You're talking about cable Internet in #2, but you're talking about CAT5 cables in a local area network for your use. Apples and oranges.

I can tell you that a wired network will always beat an 802.11b/g/n network in speed and reliability, it's really that simple.

As far as cable Internet, what is your current ISP? Do you have DSL? What speed service do you have? What cable Internet provider is available? What kind of service do they offer?

The fastest ISP around here is Verizon FiOS, I get 15mbit/2mbit connections day and night.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.