Tech Support banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have page files allocated on three different disks. When Windows 10 uses paging, which disk is selected?

Another question: I have a data SSD. Can I set my C: partition page file size to zero and just have pagefile space on the data drive??

·
Moderator, - Microsoft Support,BSOD Kernel Dump A
Olfactory training for spam detection.
5,864 Posts
It uses the first disk that responds.

Keep a small (3GB?) fixed size paging file on your System drive, a recent SSD is a great place for it! Set 1x 1 or 2GB fixed paging file on each HDD.

Giving your CPU(or 'board)/drive/memory and specific usages, surfing habits (browser uptime/PC uptimes) may enable better estimates.

PageFileUsageMonitor will show you how much space is used currently and maxima per paging file:

·
Moderator , Windows Tech Team , Hardware Tech T
Operating Systems || Hardware || Most Tech Stuff
3,136 Posts
Page file, especially on multiple disks was a best practice from the past when the SWP file could be placed on 2 Disks to gain a performance Boost. This is a thing of the past now.

Page file itself is used as a substitute for Physical memory or RAM to move inactive pages to the Disk, a benefit useful in the past when Physical Memory size was very low in MBs and maybe the early few GBs. So a Page file substitute would help (Sort of virtually expand the available memory to Physical+Virtual Page file) by providing more available Page area for APPs.

With the Memory available these days, a single page file 2GB of size is more than sufficient if you have a PC >8GB Physical Memory/RAM, splitting across Disks/SSDs is really not going to give you much of benefit if you're Physical Memory/RAM is more than 8GB

·
5,864 Posts
Sorry, I wrote the post from experience (eg. single bad webpage: >10.4GB in seconds), grabbed the screenshot from my own machine, indicating that each (SSD) takes a turn to accept paged out data as and when the System drive gets busier. This ought to be enough 'evidence' to show that there are times when having 3x fast paging files will reduce the liklihood of system slowdowns due to heavy paging requirements. It's not a performance boost but it slows the decline in performance as the System drive gets busier.

a single page file 2GB of size is more than sufficient if you have a PC >8GB Physical Memory/RAM
Ah, you're not a big MS Office (insert any other software that uses the page file almost by default) or Notepad user then :)

So how much page file space does your Windows suggest and why?

·
3,136 Posts
Nothing to be sorry about :p You've shared your experience :) if you didn't have those 2 page files, and had only one, if the one gets filled, all pages will remain in the Physical memory and would in fact perform faster with more efficient use of the RAM.

Lol... I do use MS office extensively, I have 8 GB of RAM and system managed size works for me, not the fastest of them all (Work laptop :p) but still works fine. Current page file is around 2.5 GB.

When Windows manages the paging size, based on usage, as and when the commit gets higher or with more usage, the page file keeps getting increased.

My practice is to go with 2 or 4 GB for a system, as long as your run standard apps and don't have memory leaks or peak RAM usage you should be fine. Once Physical RAM goes higher than 16 GB, 4 GB page file is more than sufficient. This is the same recommendations for servers as well, even Linux servers have a similar recommendation for the SWP partition.

Memory dumps usually get accommodated into the page file, unless of course a complete dump of Physical RAM is required during peak usage, when you definitely require a higher page file size and probably the recommendation of a bigger Page file could help, but I still don't see the point for 2 SSDs.

·
5,864 Posts
I have 3x SSDs with page files on, the PF Monitor GUI is fixed size.

Current page file is around 2.5 GB.
Yet you recommended 2GB earlier.

When Windows manages the paging size, based on usage, as and when the commit gets higher or with more usage, the page file keeps getting increased.
If you increase memory pressure by reducing the amount of PF available, Windows will use more RAM (I have 16GB).

Once Physical RAM goes higher than 16 GB, 4 GB page file is more than sufficient.
My usage (~90 day uptime illustrated above) indicates I'd be okay with 2GB - I know my own usage. I don't pretend to know what others is, so I cut them a little slack and point them to a tool that will help them monitor their own.

·
3,136 Posts
I have 3x SSDs with page files on, the PF Monitor GUI is fixed size.

Yet you recommended 2GB earlier.
Yes, because I run containers on VMs on my laptop, so I let Windows manage the size, if I didn't have that, I'd stay good with 2 GB.

If you increase memory pressure by reducing the amount of PF available, Windows will use more RAM (I have 16GB).
Yep, I stated that earlier as well.

My usage (~90 day uptime illustrated above) indicates I'd be okay with 2GB - I know my own usage. I don't pretend to know what others is, so I cut them a little slack and point them to a tool that will help them monitor their own.
I did feel this was inefficient usage of the disk space, hence my comment, but point taken though, I could have understood the requirements of the OP better before making a recommendation.

·
5,864 Posts
Yes, graphics/video editing tools are amongst those likely to heavy impact on RAM and by implication, paging as well. HDDs are much slower to write to (reading from page file isn't a big issue), better for efficiency to allow the SSD to take a big share and leave the HDDs for 'overflow' - but for your specific tasks, I'm really in the dark: Author's page for the page file monitor. (note: http but safe to use, using https gives an 'untrusted' page (quelle surprise).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts