Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 accounts on my computer (Vista HP 64-bit). How can I tell which are admin and which are standard accounts? Once I find out, I'd like to be able to know how to to be able to share files/folders between accounts. It seems that although I have the same applications in two of my accounts, I don't have the full application functionality in one of the accounts. For example, I've got iTunes in two accounts, but only one of them has the music that I loaded into it. I'd like to be able to copy the iTunes music file from one accout to the other account. In a similar manner, there are many other files in one account that I'd like to copy to another account.

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,755 Posts
Hi, this from the i lounge:-

First, create a temporary folder somewhere on your computer’s hard drive. For example, C:/iTunesTransfer/ will work fine. 
Next, in iTunes account #1, find the playlist that you’d like to copy into iTunes account #2. Select it, and choose Edit-->Select All from the menu bar. Then, simply drag these entires out of the iTunes window and into a Windows Explorer window of your C:/iTunesTransfer/ directory. This will place copies of the files into that directory.

Then, log in to account #2 and open iTunes. Locate the C:/iTunesTransfer/ directory, and drag the files from Windows Explorer straight into the iTunes window. This will place copies of the files in account #2’s iTunes Library. If you’d like to instantly create a playlist of these files, then instead of dragging to the main iTunes window, drag directly into the “Source�? column where all the playlists reside. Finally, delete the files that remain in C:/iTunesTransfer/, as these are no longer needed.
You will find a folder called "public" you can copy anything into this folder then change accounts and copy into the account from this folder, or as above create a temp folder.

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
Or you could go to the user profile that want and under the user name go to Music/ITunes/ITunes folder and copy the music. Open the other user account and paste the music into that ITunes Music Folder

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, this from the i lounge:-

You will find a folder called "public" you can copy anything into this folder then change accounts and copy into the account from this folder, or as above create a temp folder.
So, before I do anything, let me get this file transfer concept right, and maybe extend it. Taking an application from Program File (x86) in one acct and putting it into Public, will now allow me to transfer the whole app into a new acct-right? If I am downloading something that I want available in all accounts, I simply download it into Public-right? Normally, I have been downloading apps into acct#1's Program File (x86), and I guess that is why I can't get to use these apps in my other acct-right? As my wife and I are really the only ones that use the computer and we use the same acct, putting all the stuff we use into Public shouldn't do any harm-right? The only possible downside I see is if we have something in Public that we don't want an ocassion other user to see-right?

And lastly, how do I handle transferring a file when I get the "you can't do this" message. I'm very weak on know how to become an administrator or on giving permissions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.